Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a sono tube sub.

I do have some newbie questions though.

Now, I know car subs are not advised. I am really going to try to not use one but it just depends on what happens, since I live in Canada I do not want to pay the exchange rate, duty as well as extra shipping and handling since I am on a budget. What I want to know is will a spare receiver I have (100 watt x5 @ 8ohm) power one 4ohm car woofer, If not will it power 2 of them in series? Or will it power 8ohm Home Audio woofers?

With that said. I would like a coffee table sized sub. 20-24" diameter and 26" or less for height. notice I said "like", not MUST, it can be ANY size as long as it fits in the door lol.

How do I calculate port length?

I have tried the program winisd but it is not for round enclosures will it still work as long as I have the correct liters inputted?.

As far as building the thing goes, that is no problem. As far as designing it and understanding it... I am in need of help :)

This is more of a learning experience, as I am sure anything I build (I know myself) will sound better than anything I can buy for the same price.

If this should be in the DIY forum please feel free to move it.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Now, I know car subs are not advised. I am really going to try to not use one but it just depends on what happens, since I live in Canada I do not want to pay the exchange rate, duty as well as extra shipping and handling since I am on a budget.
The FS of most car subs is just to high for them to perform in a home environment. The closed cabin of a car gives enough gain to compensate. In the home, you just will not get the bass you want.

Quote:
I have tried the program winisd but it is not for round enclosures will it still work as long as I have the correct liters inputted?.
It will still work as long as you input the correct volume in liters or ft^3. It just gives you box suggestions. Once you get the size you want, try the Sonosub Calculator .

Quote:
How do I calculate port length?
In WinISD, pick your tuning frequency and port size and the length will be given to you. If you are using PVC pipe for your port, choose a size that you can get locally. It sometimes defaults to sizes that aren't available in my area so I change it to either 4" or 6".

Quote:
This is more of a learning experience, as I am sure anything I build (I know myself) will sound better than anything I can buy for the same price.
Do some reading over at DIY Subwoofers but try to ignore the discussion area. Lately it's been going towards cars and SPL. Here are some more links . Check out Pat Sun's pages for construction tips.

There is a Canadian dealer for Adire audio products. If you don't mind paying the shipping, etc. try PE or Stryke for really good subs.

-Robert

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, i will get on it.

I have seen all those links by the calculator and the Canadian site :) thanks for those. I would like to use the shiva.

I was still wondering if I can use a receiver to power these at first. Or do I NEED an amp right away.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nope receiver will work just fine. Just wire each voice coil to a channel of the amp, and split the sub out signal of your main receiver and run it to the left and right inputs of one of the modes on your spare receiver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.