AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. AVS Forum Newbie here. I need help building an affordable but good sounding 2.1 system. Just a couple requirements would be at least a couple HDMI inputs and the receiver and bookshelf speakers cant cost much more than $400... are these requirements reasonable? I will be buying a cheap but highly reviewed Audio Acoustic 10" sub from a local seller. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if you want the receiver to decode audio over the HDMI inputs, then you are going to have a problem. Any a/v receivers in that price range are going to be "pass-thru" HDMI for video only, you would still have to install a Toslink optical or digital coax for multi-channel audio.

The only thing that comes to mind in that price range is the Sony HT SS360 HTiB, but that is a 5.1 system with marginal power and speakers.

But, a point to clarify.....you want a 2.1 system (stereo with subwoofer) that will eventually be a full DD 5.1 system ??? Is that why you want HDMI audio ?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I don't know how you are going to accomplish that unless you go for a HTiB or scour places like craigslist and ebay. I see some pretty nice receivers dumped for cheap all the time on the used market, so I don't think it will be that hard to snag a receiver like that for $250 or so, as long as you are diligent in your search.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Onkyo SR507 (find best internet price) and a pair of Polk Monitor 30 bookshelf speakers from www.newegg.com

Polk M30's can later be used for the two surround speakers when you add the "front 3"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts