AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new here and I had a few questions about where to buy a Showstopper or Replay TV unit. First off I am on a budget of about $300 after rebate so that is my limitation. I know the Replay unit has some advantages when it comes to macrovision but the Showstopper $100 rebate is attractive as well. Any advice on where to get a reasonably priced NEW unit? Also any reasons why I should go Showstopper or Replay TV specifically other than macrovision issues?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
there are still a few places selling new showstoppes online, but most seem to be in the $400-$500 range before the rebate

many people (including myself) have gotten great deals by calling around to circuit city or best buy and seeing if they have any open box units they are selling...you can get the rebate even on an open box

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I did manage to locate a 20hr showstopper brand new for $350 before rebate. I plan on doing the hack to around 50-80 hrs. Is panasonic going to continue to make these units or are they moving out of the business and letting Replay take over. I saw the new Replay units on their website and they look awesome but they are a little pricey for me.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still looking but I now have found a new 20 hr showstopper for $300 before rebate. That isn't bad and I'll probably go with that but I also found a 30 hr unit for $406 shipped before rebate (with a little help from Amex Blue) and with a $75 gift card for a later purchase. I don't know which to get. The $75 will come in handy. Add tax to the $300 = $325 and $406 - $75 = $331 hmmmm I guess the difference isn't really that much. I guess the extra 10 hours out of the box is worth $6.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip. I bought the 30 hour unit at www.800.com. It was $599.99 and they were giving a free $75 gift card with purchase. I bought it with my amex blue card so now I will price match it with sears at $399.88. Here is the breakdown:

$606.90 www.800.com price

-$200.00 amex blue price match with sears

=$406.90

-$100.00 panasonic rebate

=306.90 -- without gift card

-$75.00 worth of other stuff from 800.com

=$231.90 shipped including gift card

if I had just gone to sears it would have cost me

$399.88 sears price

+$33.99 tax

=$433.87

-$100.00 panasonic rebate

=333.87

If I find it for less than $399.88 within the next 60 days I can still price match with amex blue for up to another $50 off.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.