AVS Forum banner

Which one of these is the better buy?

• KDS-60A3000 (Feb. 2008, $700)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KDS-R60XBR2 (2 yr old, w/replacement bulb, $1000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a used 60" TV and I wanted to know which one of these I should go with considering the deal/price and picture quality:

KDS-60A3000

Purchased in February 2008

Price = $700

KDS-R60XBR2

Purchased 2 years ago

Comes with replacement bulb

Price = $1000

Which one is a better option considering price, bulb, and picture quality.

THANKS

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Buy a Brand new HDTV..

For a Few hundred more

HL61A750 for $1299 shipped (Crutchfield)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Sony's have a better picture in my opinion than the HL61A750.

Plus, that is a $600 (86%) price difference...not worth it.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questi4110 /forum/post/15586381

The picture on the Sony is better.

At this time, the OB warranty on the XBR2 will run until 6/30/2010 and the OB warranty on the A3000 will run until 2/2010.

Prepare for a $1200 - $1500 charge after that.

So, buy the one that has a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questi4110 /forum/post/15586381

A few years ago, I picked up a KDS-60A2000, which I promptly returned and "upgraded" to the 60" XBR2. Which was returned and exchanged for another XBR2, which was finally returned for good. They all suffered the same problem, green skin tones. The Samsung does not have that issue. I remember finding this site way back then and reading that many people were having problems with their SXRD sets. They had to keep having their OB replaced only to have the same issues return a short time later. If I remember correctly, Sony faced a class action law suit behind their SXRD XBR1 design. The XBR2 was thought to have been cured of the green blob issue the XBR1 suffered, but it returned on the XBR2 though in a different form. If you haven't read up on the XBR2, I would strongly suggest that you do so. Things may have been straighten out on the XBR2 since then. I don't know if the A3000 suffered the same flaw.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude /forum/post/15591153

It didn't

Reading the A3000 thread you would be hard to prove that point.

The number of failures are following the exact same timelines as in the earlier models.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Mater /forum/post/15591088

A few years ago, I picked up a KDS-60A2000, which I promptly returned and "upgraded" to the 60" XBR2. Which was returned and exchanged for another XBR2, which was finally returned for good. They all suffered the same problem, green skin tones. The Samsung does not have that issue. I remember finding this site way back then and reading that many people were having problems with their SXRD sets. They had to keep having their OB replaced only to have the same issues return a short time later. If I remember correctly, Sony faced a class action law suit behind their SXRD XBR1 design. The XBR2 was thought to have been cured of the green blob issue the XBR1 suffered, but it returned on the XBR2 though in a different form. If you haven't read up on the XBR2, I would strongly suggest that you do so. Things may have been straighten out on the XBR2 since then. I don't know if the A3000 suffered the same flaw.

The Samsung has an LED which has a white coating on it that continues to flake off over time so the color is constantly changing over time with no way to correct it.

The SXRDs are only incorrect when the OB fail, which they are doing in mass, which is why i say buy the one with the 5 year warranty.

The Samsung will require constant calibration to keep the color correct, if it is even able to kept accurate over time.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15592172

The Samsung has an LED which has a white coating on it that continues to flake off over time so the color is constantly changing over time with no way to correct it.

Is this the 2007 or 2008 LED model or both sets? A single LED? Have you actually seen the flaking with your own two eyes? If not, where did you get this information from? What is the coating material, why is it there, and why is it flaking? Please post a link to your source if available. This is the first I've read anything about this. One of the touted strengths of the LED sets is it's longevity and consistency.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Mater /forum/post/15593660

Is this the 2007 or 2008 LED model or both sets? A single LED? Have you actually seen the flaking with your own two eyes? If not, where did you get this information from? What is the coating material, why is it there, and why is it flaking? Please post a link to your source if available. This is the first I've read anything about this. One of the touted strengths of the LED sets is it's longevity and consistency.

You might go ask in the proper thread and do some research. Its spoken of in many places on AVS by ISF calibrators and people that make the software and hardware for display calibration.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15597276

You might go ask in the proper thread and do some research. Its spoken of in many places on AVS by ISF calibrators and people that make the software and hardware for display calibration.

Your right, I didn't mean to hijack his thread. I admit, I got a little excited.
I just assumed after commenting on the flaking you would have had a good (or at least some) understanding of the issue and been willing to share it. My mistake.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you made a decision on which Sony your going to pick up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Mater /forum/post/15599128

Have you made a decision on which Sony your going to pick up?

Yeah, I bought the KDS-60A3000.

So far, I think the picture quality is amazing and I don't find any flaws with it (except that the optical out is not as strong of a signal as I would like but I fixed that problem anyway).

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15592164

Reading the A3000 thread you would be hard to prove that point.

The number of failures are following the exact same timelines as in the earlier models.

full of crap. There are hardly any failures I've been a subscriber to that thread for a while and own a 60a3000. This guy is on a mission people.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/15791902

full of crap. There are hardly any failures I've been a subscriber to that thread for a while and own a 60a3000. This guy is on a mission people.

and the failures of the XBR2 were just as few in the first 18 months.....the A3000 has just as many reported failures in the first 18 months (perhaps more).

Sorry, but your mission seems to be denial of what anyone can read on the threads if they take the time.

Doesnt matter anyway as 99% on AVS only want confirmation of what they have purchased and do not want reality.

With this in mind, I've decided to quit posting anyway - no one wants the truth - only posts to make them feel good.

Good luck when reality sets in.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I believe Sony was producing about 30,000 SXRD’s per month in the US alone, thats a lot of TV’s over the production life. If only a small proportion suffered problems you would see plenty of reported failure on this is forum. We never here about the hundreds of thousands of sets that have not failed.

What does seem apparent however is that the US refurbished optical blocks used to repair defective sets in the US are of a very poor standard, and no where near as good as the original units supplied in XBR2 or A3000 models, most of which have run trouble free for years.

Of the dozen or so Japanese built SXRD that I am aware of in this part of the world, only one has suffered an OB failure after two years, that’s not a very high failure rate so fare, but time will tell.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15792715

and the failures of the XBR2 were just as few in the first 18 months.....the A3000 has just as many reported failures in the first 18 months (perhaps more).

Sorry, but your mission seems to be denial of what anyone can read on the threads if they take the time.

Doesnt matter anyway as 99% on AVS only want confirmation of what they have purchased and do not want reality.

With this in mind, I've decided to quit posting anyway - no one wants the truth - only posts to make them feel good.

Good luck when reality sets in.

I don't think there's a problem with the information but rather the delivery, especially as we all witnessed a horrendous amount of trolling on this subject 2-3 years ago so there may be some residual skepticism about doomsayers.

IMHO, your responses are a bit on the hostile side and tend to rub people the wrong way, not just here but in other threads as well. Perhaps you could try and convey your points in a nicer manner without appearing to attack the poster? Just a suggestion.

That said, there should be no doubt that there is a problem with these SXRDs. I experienced the green blob problem myself 2-3 years ago with two XBR1s, though it was fine for the first six months. I also saw it on several other XBR1s and A2000s in stores. It seemed like the problem had been fixed in the XBR2s and A2000s until the reports started flowing in after about a year. I currently have an A2020 which had NOT had the problem during the past 20 months. That was until last night when something odd ( a bunch of small green blobs) appeared as described in the A2000/A2020 owner's threads so now I'm worried! Again!

P.S. I'm stating my experiences and my observations. YMMV.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/15795463

I don't think there's a problem with the information but rather the delivery, especially as we all witnessed a horrendous amount of trolling on this subject 2-3 years ago so there may be some residual skepticism about doomsayers.

IMHO, your responses are a bit on the hostile side and tend to rub people the wrong way, not just here but in other threads as well. Perhaps you could try and convey your points in a nicer manner without appearing to attack the poster? Just a suggestion.

Most people are just denying the facts as they can't handle the truth - and the truth is, I've got no more time to try and educate those who do not want to be educated.

Whoops...what do we have here from the A3000 thread just today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awa61 /forum/post/15800260

Based on the description of the problem that I gave the service technician, they have ordered an optical block without looking at my TV. They will schedule install once it arrives. They indicated that it is fairly common based on the description.

Another A3000 OB failure - and they are replacing without even looking at the set at they indicate "its fairly common".

Uncle Pauly and others can deny all they want, but the evidence is very clear - and the timeline is almost identical to all the other models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts