AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum & recording in general.

I presently have a DVR machine that I rent from my cable company. I love it!

There are a few shows that I've saved and would like to save to a DVD. I also have tons of VHS, 8MM and miniDV tapes to convert to DVD.

My question... I'm thinking seriously about a Panasonic dmr-es46V to replace the Samsung dvd/vcr machine currently hooked up to the DVR system. It's been having problems playing the DVD rentals.

Will it work? I basically want the Panasonic to

1. Copy my VHS, 8MM and miniDV tapes to DVD.

2. Copy a show (rarely but important, in the 16 months I've DVRed shows,

there is less than 4 hours that I want to copy to a DVD).

3. View movie rentals on 90% DVD and 10% VHS

THANKS for any info/insight to help me make this decision.

Diana

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Alternatively the VCR and Cable Box could each go to a separate input of the DVD Recorder. You lose recording from Cable Box to VCR but gain not having to have the VCR on to record to the DVD Recorder.

But generally speaking this is easily do-able, A/V outputs to A/V inputs, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Copying shows saved on DVR to DVD recorder

My cable box is the Motorola 6412 and my dvdr is a Panasonic Es20.

Component outputs from the Motorola go to inputs on the back of the TV.

I use RCA y cables to split the audio output from the Motorola to the TV and to the DVD recorder (audio connections to input 1 on dvdr). Hat tip to BobKart for the advice!

I connect an s video cable from the Motorola to the input 1 s video connection on the dvdr. The above connections were made once and remain in place.

The process to copy is simple and allows me to edit out any commercials.

First, I access the saved program on the DVR and press pause.

Second, I put a DVD in the recorder, select input 1, and set record time.

Third, I press play on the DVR remote and press record on the dvdr remote.

If the saved show has commercials, I pause the dvdr, fast forward to end of commercials on the PVR, then unpause the dvdr. The final dvd is thus commercial free! Whoopee!

HTH,

Rick

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
That's a good connection and a fine procedure for dubbing. An alternative approach is to let the dub go unattended and the edit out the commercials later (on recorders with HDD).

Splitting the audio with Y cables will work as you know. The level of the audio on each branch of the split will be diminished somewhat though (-3dB). Just making sure you realize this. Hopefully wherever you read my suggestion, you also saw this warning. One way around it is with an audio distribution amplifier.

For example: http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/p...roductid=16562

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.