AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60SDX Hitachi and a RCA DTC100 STB. If I tell the DTC100 that I have a 4:3 set (I do), I have two 16:9 choices - cropped or letterbox. When in HD mode (component inputs), all DTC100 signals are shown in an 810 line window (16:9 equivalent) and the resulting picture is either squashed (cropped mode) or a letterbox inside of an 810 line letterbox (leterboxed letterbox). Has anyone gotten a full height 4:3 picture in HD mode with any STB or has anyone gotten a full 16:9 picture with any STB? The Hitachi picture is excellent in either SD mode and HD mode, but the wrong aspect ratios in HD.

This is my second DTC100 and I am sure it is operating correctly.

Help, Chuck

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody Home, HA HA HA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Chuck,

You need to set your DTC100 to 16x9. I know, your have a 4x3 tv but this setting was meant to work with tvs like the first genertion Toshiba sets which would not provide the anamorphic squeeze. The Hitachi will automatically do the 16x9 squeeze and the image will be displayed geometrically correct with black bars above and below the picture. This is not letter-boxed, it is vertically squeezed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rick and Greg -

I had also tried that and you are right the picture is more geometrically correct. I am still looking to see if any other STB works MORE correctly with my Hitachi. Did either of you find any condition when with component video ON and HD in that you could get the Hitachi to change to 4:3 aspect ratio.

Chuck

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg,

I'm familiar with the foward button and use it all the time. On my Hitachi, I cannot ever change the aspect mode on video 2, its locked on 16:9; that's the question I cannot get an answer from anyone on how its not 16:9 with components connected. 1-800-Hitachi doesnot know the answer, do you?

Thanks, Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.