AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I hope you guys can help. For the past several months, I've been trying to backup my personal DVDs and Blu-Rays to my media PC so I can stream them throughout the house to AppleTVs with no success. Any movie that I copy either has audio sync issues, random screen jitters, the screen just turns green, or just doesnt work at all.

I use MakeMKV to backup the movies to MKV and then I use MKVtoMP4 to convert it to MP4. From there, I import them into iTunes so I can home share it with other devices.

The media center PC is pretty old: its an Intel E6550 with 2GB RAM on Windows 7 and a LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive. From there, the computer is directly connected into a wireless router. My projector's AppleTV is plugged directly into that same router while all the other devices in the house are on wireless. But, the issues happen no matter if its wired or wireless.

I thought maybe the network connections were having issues transferring the movies, but, I have no issues streaming from Netflix or anything else. Then, my thoughts were that my old computer can keep up with the movie copying process and errors were occuring. But, those are total guesses.

Anyone have any ideas? Any other info that might help diagnose this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I see at least a couple of potential issues in your workflow. You'll have to forgive me if I miss something obvious as I am not very familiar with the Apple ecosystem and have never used MKVtoMP4. I have no idea what level of knowledge you have so if I am talking down to you, I apologize ahead of time.

#1 - Your encodes may not be ATV compliant. You didn't specify which model they were, but AppleTV isn't known for its wide container and stream support. Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV and go to the sub field of supported formats. Your files need to meet these specs. Make sure your profile is Main and the Level is no higher than 4.0. Also, with .mp4, your files can be no larger than 4GB or you need to enable "large file support". It may not be a bad idea to change the file extension from ".mp4" to ".m4v".... just to be safe.

For best Apple compatibility, it might not be a bad idea to make sure that your first audio stream is a 2-channel .aac track no higher than 160kbps. Then add a 2nd audio track that is DD 5.1 (AC3). You can pass this through from most DVDs or downconvert the HD Audio track from Blu-Rays.

#2 - If I had to guess, I would say that you are probably getting out of sync audio with just your DVD rips. Your are probably having an issue with detelecine. You need to explore MKVtoMP4 and find out how 2:3 pulldown is being handled in the re encoding process. Are you running a Detelecine filter but leaving the frame rate at 29.97? Did you set it to reencode at 23.97 but didn't turn the filter on at all? Either of these situations could easily cause sync issues.

If this sounds confusing, just go to www.handbrake.fr, download Handbrake then install it. Load the .mkv and enable large file support on the front page. Choose the correct device profile from the list on the right. Then go to the filters tab, and set Detelecine to and leave it that way for everything. Then on the video tab, set your frame rate to and your CRF to 18-20 (lower is better quality). I would also go into the audio tab and make sure it is set up the way I mentioned in the preceding paragraph. Then hit Start. You should get a completely AppleTV compliant .m4v file.

Let me know if any of this helps or if you can be more specific about the issues with specific files, I may be able to offer more ideas. I don't think this is a network issue at all.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Well-when you use MakeMKV does it produce a mkv file that plays back without incident on your computer? If it is fine, then you have to look at how you are transcoding to mp4 for the AppleTV. Does the output of this tool playback fine on your PC? Finally iTunes could be messed up. When you transcode, are you able to select a profile geared towards the limitations posed by your AppleTV device?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts