AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I download a video file using swapDV to my computer... tried saving it as both a replay mpg and a pc mpg. After downloading it, I know I have to re-encode it in order to burn it to a cd that will play in my VCD player.

So I downloaded TMPGEnc and tried to use that to re-encode it. It tells me that the file I am trying to convert is not a valid MPG file. I've tried by way of the wizard that walks you through it, and also through the FILE> TOOLS> and choosing to do a simple multiplex.

I had previously gotten the file to convert by way of this second method, and burned it to a cd and it worked in my vcd... however, now it won't work anylonger... no matter what I do, TMPGEnc tells me the files I download from my Replay TV 4K are not valid MPG files.

Anyone who can help... I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can't anyone help me out on this one? I've read many many posts... not new here. Just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Which quality are the RPTV Mpegs. The TMPGenc encoder may be having trouble with the low quality, mpegs which although proper DVD type mpegs, sometimes give other editors fits. It's a 1/2 D1 frame (352x480) instead of a full D1 (720x480) as are the medium and high RPTV mpegs.

Next, there's often a problem when "off loading" the mpegs. Sometimes the time/size codes in the headers (my non-technical jargon) are screwed up. This also causes problems for mpeg editors. This will / can happen mostly if you are off-loading while the RPTV box is doing something .. like recording. This could be why it worked for you once in a while and other times not.

In general the fact is the RPTV mpegs were never meant to be used for source video or any other form, other than being played back within the ReplayTV environment. So often the headers or other portions of the RPTV Mpegs become glitched which doesn't affect the actual playback of the mpegs. However when you try to use a program that needs those parameters to be perfect, it might choke.

I've been off-loading dozens of RPTV mpegs without a problem. BUT every once in a while one will have a "header" problem. I use the Womble mpeg editor myself. It's expensive ($250.00) but worth it if you intend to do any serious archiving of RPTV shows or mpeg editing in general. (I do a lot of digital video work of all types) The guys at Womble responded to our (we RPTV people) notes about this problem. AND they even added a new utility to their latest release which will fix mpegs with broken headers. I find that even when careful about off-loading during quiet times, that I still get about 1-2 out of 10 mpegs with this problem. It takes Womble about 30 seconds to fix it.

I'm not saying that this is "your" problem. But it's the most common with the RPTV mpegs.

There still may be hope for another solution. You might try using the Multiplexing utilities of TMPGenc to first try to correct the broken headers (if that is your problem) Sometime de-multiplexing the Mpeg into it's elementary video and audio streams and then multiplexing it back into a normal mpeg will fix it. The process of "muxing" the streams (using a proper profile) will sometimes fix broken GOPs and/or header information. When multiplexing the streams back together use the "Mpeg Program Stream" option. You can find the mux tools under the "Tools" section of TMPGenc.

I would hesitate to say for "sure" what your problem is and be reluctant to recommend blowing 250 bucks for Womble just to find out. However you might contact Womble ( www.womble.com ) and ask if you can get a time limited trial version to check out. As I said, the very latest version of Womble has this "tool" that will check your Mpegs for broken information in the headers and fix them. However, note that the only "trial" available for download is their cheaper ( $49.00) US MPEG-1 only version. They do not have a trial version of the full Mpeg-2 version (which does both Mpeg-2 and Mpeg-1)

I've heard of them doing "special" deals and giving people time limited full version trials for evaluation if you ask them directly. They are very nice people to deal with. If so, then at least you'll know if the problem is one that can be fixed with Womble. At that point you can either make the plunge and blow the 250 bucks or at least start looking for some other less expensive product that might do the same thing. (I don't know of any other than the aforementioned TMPGenc muxing tools that "might" work)

Also, the Womble IS a very fine Mpeg editor, and is frame accurate and has many features. If you intend to do a lot of RPTV show archiving, it may be a wise investment anyway. It's extremely fast as well.

Good luck ..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I forgot to mention .. (hope to save you some time and problems) Only the very latest version of Womble has this new utility. And they havn't changed the version number .. It's still 3.11. So you may find some "pirated" version 3.11, and/or serial numbers for 3.11, but they won't work. Womble is constantly changing their key gen coding to stop piracy.

I started long ago with the Mpeg-1 only version that I used to edit VCD mpegs. I was so impressed I upgraded to the Mpeg-2 version when I started working with SVCD and DVD. It was (for me) well worth it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If TMPGEnc acts like it has no idea what kind of file the MPG is ("unsupported") you need to install a software MPEG2 codec.

Elecard, Cyberlink PowerDVD and others work great with Replay MPEGs and TMPGEnc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.