AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and got the new Scientific American 3100HD cable box today and tried to hook it up to my system. Didn't work. Here is my system:

Sanyo XP21N, 1024 x 728

Faroudja NRS for 4:3

Parasound Preamp with component switching.

First, I tried to route everything through the Parasound AVC 2700, using the "monitor" output connections to the Faroudja, and using the two input component connections for the DVD player and the Comcast HD cable box. Doesn't work, picture is just a random pattern of dense horizontal fragments of lines.

When I connect the DVD player directly to the Faroudja using component cables, works perfectly. When I tried to connect the Comcast box directly, got the same random pattern as above.

The component outputs from the Comcast box are labeled Y Pr Pb, but the component ins for the Faroudja are labled Y Cr Cb, as are the component connections for the Parasound.

Is there some kind of compatibility problem here and how do I solve it? Currently, I am using the SVHS output of the Comcast box but it doesn't transmit video for any of the channels running on HDTV.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Did Comcast enter the box information into their system to activate HD? Did they come out and turn on HD at the box on the street? We had several people here in Phoenix get boxes for self-install only to find out that Cox had to do something at the box on the street to activate HD anyway.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Theres nothing that has to be done to activate HD at the "street" with Comcast you just need to order the box and hook it up. I'm unforntunately not familiar with the SA box's as we only use Motorola equipment here in Seattle but from what I've heard there worth less than there weight in dirt.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
YPbPr and YCbCr is the same thing, or so the SA3100HD manual says. The SA3100HD component output only outputs 1080i. Make sure your equipment can handle that properly. Did your HD box ever worked? You can connect a regular TV to its composite or S-Video to check if the box worked. Mine does not work when I first installed. The digital cable signal level is too low and I have to remove all the spliters in my cable to barely make it work.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the Svideo output works fine but it doesn't output high def. So the channels (INDHD) have sound but no picture. I think I need to adapt the output from the 3100HD, Y, Pr, Pb to the HD passthrough input of the Faroudja which is a D15M.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Since you are getting audio, that would indicate something is coming through. I didn't see anything though that says you tried hooking the 3100 component out directly to the projector.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't do it, Dave, they're too far apart.

Dan

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Well, that's the only way I can think of to make sure the 3100 is working and putting out a good signal on the Component ports. Even though it is new, it could still have something amiss. I'm not familiar with the NRS, though I did find it on their website and specific info was somewhat limited, but I assume it can accept and process 1080i signals. I looked for the 2700 too, but could not find it listed on Parasound's site. I assume it is similar to the 2500, so I checked that out. It all looks like it should work if you are getting a signal from the 3100. Being the weekend, I assume you were not able to check to see if Comcast can swap out the box or test a newer one?

I'm am curious though. I assume the 3100, NRS, and Parasound are all located together and then a component cable is run to the projector. Can't you just unhook the component cables from the Paracouns and hook them to the 3100 to see if you get a picture to the projector?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, Dave all the equipment is in a nearby cellar and I run RGBHV cable from there to my projector which is in the back of the room, 35 feet away. So the cable input is in the room as is all the audio and video processing.

I got the model number of the Parasound incorrect, it is the 2500. But it should handle the switching OK. However, the point is moot as I will have to pass through the signal from the cable box. Plus another complication, some have apparently tried this already and concluded the Sanyo projector can't properly process the HDTV signal through the "computer in" port, one must use the component ports.

That's the problem with this stuff, it's all very difficult to get it to work together.

Thanks for all your help.

Dan

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
That's the problem with this stuff, it's all very difficult to get it to work together.
Well, you are right about that. It's cool thatthey make all the different cables and provide the outputs, but making it all work the way you want can be difficult to say the least.

I did remember that someone else had a problem with a projector that could supposedly accept HD signals, but wasn't technically an HDTV. I couldn't remember the specifics or the solution though, so I didn't mention it, I probably should have. You didn't mention the RGBHV cabling in your post, but that probably wouldn't have helped me think of a solution.

10-4 on the 2500 vs 2700 being the correct model number.

So, what are you going to do, run a component cable the 35' to the projector? That could cost a few $$, couldn't it?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
This was posted on HDTVoice in response to a query I posted about using a DVI to VGA cable. I think it also explains the problem in this thread.
Quote:
No, DVI to VGA adapters won't work. DVI-I on an STB does not pass analog RGBHV for VGA.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not exactly, Dave, my STB puts out only component, not DVI.

Dan

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
Not exactly, Dave, my STB puts out only component, not DVI.

Dan
Of course, you're right. I wonder if the problem is related though with the Component port not passing the same kind of data?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.