AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and got the new Scientific American 3100HD cable box today and tried to hook it up to my system. Didn't work. Here is my system:

Sanyo XP21N, 1024 x 728 LCD, connected using RGB cable

Faroudja NRS for 4:3

Parasound Preamp with component switching.

First, I tried to route everything through the Parasound AVC 2700, using the "monitor" output connections to the Faroudja, and using the two input component connections for the DVD player and the Comcast HD cable box. Doesn't work, picture is just a random pattern of dense horizontal fragments of lines.

When I connect the DVD player directly to the Faroudja using component cables, works perfectly. When I tried to connect the Comcast box directly, got the same random pattern as above.

The component outputs from the Comcast box are labeled Y Pr Pb, but the component ins for the Faroudja are labled Y Cr Cb, as are the component connections for the Parasound.

Is there some kind of compatibility problem here and how do I solve it? Currently, I am using the SVHS output of the Comcast box but it doesn't transmit video for any of the channels running on HDTV.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Dan

Maybe your system can only handle 480P you may have to feed the projector direct. also you probably can not convert 1080i component to RGB

Just try runing component from your 3100 direct to the component input

on the 21N.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Maybe Faroudja can't pass through HDTV signals and can only accept 480i (Y Cb Cr suggests interlaced component and Y Pb Pr suggests progressive component). Have you tried to connect HD box directly into your PJ using VGA (PJ)->component (HD box) breakout cables (assuming your PJ can accept 720p and/or 1080i)?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huey, you're probably closer to it than anyone. The Faroudja has a VGA bypass circuit with a VGA input. Unfortunately, the Comcast box only has the Y Pr Pb outputs. What kind of breakout cable would you use with that setup?

It looks like what I'll have to do is to bypass the Faroudja and set the projector to handle the signal direct from the Comcast box.

So that brings up another question, can the XP21N process the 1080i signal in some manner?

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.