AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the original virtualdvhs streamed full video files fine to my dvhs deck. since "upgrading" to Virtualdvhs 2, i can't for the life of me get anything to outut to the deck.

plus, it's only reading a few minutes long in length when i get the file into virtualdvhs2 when it's really a much longer file (which i can view in VLC with no problem).

anyone have any insight into my problem?

thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus
the original virtualdvhs streamed full video files fine to my dvhs deck. since "upgrading" to Virtualdvhs 2, i can't for the life of me get anything to outut to the deck.

plus, it's only reading a few minutes long in length when i get the file into virtualdvhs2 when it's really a much longer file (which i can view in VLC with no problem).

anyone have any insight into my problem?

thanks
I experienced problems with version2 as well. I suspect in my case the issue is that I am using 10.3.9 and not Tiger. The previous version still works. What OS are you using?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm using tiger. i would have never even downloaded the updated firewire sdk package that includes virtualdvhs2 if i knew it was going to take such a step backwards....with Virtualdvhs1 i could ingest and output HD just fine to my 30K deck....now, it's basically useless for me.

plus i really don't understand all the "navigation file" crap that is involved.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus
i'm using tiger. i would have never even downloaded the updated firewire sdk package that includes virtualdvhs2 if i knew it was going to take such a step backwards....with Virtualdvhs1 i could ingest and output HD just fine to my 30K deck....now, it's basically useless for me.

plus i really don't understand all the "navigation file" crap that is involved.

As you may know, the Firewire SDK packages are developer packages and not fully implemented and not supported by Apple. Thus there is no guidance available from Apple to help trouble-shoot your specific problem. The idea is to provide core component code etc. to developers to create applications etc. Are you actually able to stream directly to your Mac monitor or do you capture and download and review the files off line? I am not a developer and frankly my use of the SDK is limited because most of the m2t sources of interest to me are encrypted, so I can get them but cannot review them on my Mac. I suggest you try to use the original set of components to continue to accomplish your aim.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oleus, are you using the option in VDVHS2 to create a navigation file? You may want to delete the .tsnavi file and try playing the .TS without one. (When you open a .TS file, it will give you the option to skip generating the .tsnavi file.)

The .tsnavi file is an index of all the GOP (Group of Pictures) headers in the .TS file. That index is used in VDVHS2 for Fast Forward and Rewind operations. Currently FF and RW aren't very smooth (They just jump forward or backward a few percent of the stream), but it is a start! Possibly in future versions of VDVHS2 it will be improved even further.

If you pull down the stats drawer while your file is playing, do you see the bitrate occasionally jump from around 19Mbit to 100Kbit? If that is your issue, I have re-built VirtualDVHS2 with a couple code patches suggested by Andy Yanowitz, one of Apple's Firewire guru's. It patches the 100Kbit issue, and also avoids sending a packet of 0's when you first start playing. That packet of 0's might be messing with your deck... although if it records anything at all, that might not be the problem.

If you would like to try it, I'll send it to you.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Do you have it posted anywhere? If not, could I get a copy? I haven't had any streaming problems yet (at least from my Macs) but you never know ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
a couple code patches suggested by Andy Yanowitz, one of Apple's Firewire guru's. It patches the 100Kbit issue, and also avoids sending a packet of 0's when you first start playing.
I found the fix for the zeros but not the 100Kbit. Any info?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.