·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50 inch Toshiba -- model no. 50H82 for 2000 bucks

51 inch Hitachi -- model no. 51UWX20B for 2200 bucks

53 inch Pansonic -- model no. PT-53WX42 for 1800 bucks

51 Sony -- model no.5074570 for 2200 bucks

Or do you have some other recommendation for a similarly inched and priced wide screen RPTV set?

I really have no way of telling which are better. I've heard that Toshiba and Panasonic are generally better than Hitachi and Sony though.

[edit]

This is the wrong forum isn't it? Too late...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Those are all good. It's not like you can make a bad decision.

look for the new sony 46wt500 and also check out the toshiba 42hdx82

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...and I'm not completely oblivious here.

I already know I want a monitor with no decoder. About the only thing being broadcast in HD right now is "The Young and the Restless" where I live.

If possible take, calibration and convergence into account. The easier to maintain, the better.

Here's some links to the individual sets specs:

Toshiba
http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/current/50H82.html

Hitachi
http://www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/pro...51uwx20b.shtml

Panasonic
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...ategoryId=2914

Sony (not sure if this is the right model)
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...tngL_i&Dept=tv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's got to be some appreciable difference.

The Panasonic has the most inches and the lowest price for example. What did they leave out...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, well, my folks went with the Toshiba, so hopefully there's nothing wrong with it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A few months ago i purchased a Toshiba 42h81 and like the 50h82 it has no dvi input.

The owners manual says its "dvi upgradeable".

How hard would that be to do, and how costly?

·
Registered
178 Posts
1000 bucks?!!!!!!!!! It'll take 990 dollars to ship it back to Korea so that means its only a $10 dollar fix..great!

Sent e-mail to Toshiba, eagerly awaiting their reply.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder w/ this DVI issue...

I could imagine someone will simply build a DVI-to-analog converter IF and WHEN DVI becomes a reality. I mean what would stop this other than a lawsuit from the MPAA and/or cable and satellite companies? It'd be like that whole deCSS thing all over again.

Me? I think if you can save a substantial amount by choosing a set w/out DVI, then why not? IF and WHEN DVI becomes a reality down the road and you can't live w/out it, maybe it's time to upgrade anyway. :D Certainly, DVI upgradeability doesn't mean much since they can easily charge you big $$$ to actually do it. Of course, all else being equal, it's better to have than not.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I based the $1000 claim I made on the cost of the Mitsubishi upgrade that was issued this month...

it costs $995...to upgrade a Mits.

Toshiba could be less...

I would reccomend you forget the uncertainty of the upgrade path and simply choose a better model with DVI....

Sony, Hitachi, JVC, RCA and higher Toshiba's have it....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man-Fai Wong
Hmmm... I wonder w/ this DVI issue...

I could imagine someone will simply build a DVI-to-analog converter IF and WHEN DVI becomes a reality. I mean what would stop this other than a lawsuit from the MPAA and/or cable and satellite companies? It'd be like that whole deCSS thing all over again.

Me? I think if you can save a substantial amount by choosing a set w/out DVI, then why not? IF and WHEN DVI becomes a reality down the road and you can't live w/out it, maybe it's time to upgrade anyway. :D
Do you mean DVI/HDCP or just DVI? I ask because DVI is very real today and very usable, e.g., Samsung 165 decoder direct to DVI input on fixed pixel display TV - depending on the source, it is digital all the way from camera to tv.

HDCP is another story. I agree that's not a reality yet.

However, why would anybody convert DVI to analog?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry for not being clear. I was being lazy, but yes, I meant DVI/HDCP or whatever other copy-protection scheme they might adopt.

Why would you convert DVI to analog? Because the display technology must at some point convert the signal to analog. There's really no such thing as a truly digital display as long as it's made to present an image for our eyes to see--unless you have some sort of digital/bionic/cybernetic eye. :D Our eyes can only perceive analog lightwaves.

With existing CRT-based technology, the signal must actually be analog very early on in the signal chain--essentially immediately unless there's some sort of digital video processing you want to do before passing the signal to the actual display hardware, eg. 480i/p->540p/1080i upconversion, 720p->1080i conversion, digital video noise reduction.

_Man_

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes i also meant to say DVI/HDCP. Not really worried about it just curious about what toshiba has in mind about "dvi upgradable"

It will probably be a few years before i run into something where i'd absolutely have to have it....maybe never.

The answer i received from my E-mail was..."

Unfortunately, we do not have information on the DVI upgrade at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience.

\\

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
The person who indicated the $US300 (I'm pretty sure it was that since I think I remember figuring CND$500 after translation) is a pretty well respected poster on another site who has some ties to individuals at Toshiba. The upgrade consists of a simple jack pack installed on the back of your TV which is why the cost is relatively low (I had asked a Toshiba service tech if there would be more than one DVI input on the jack pack but they said at the time they did not know the cost or exactly what the pack would contain). I guess they did not put in on the H82 to keep costs down and to have another point of difference for the HDX82.

I didn't realize Toshiba still wasn't saying what the cost is (I ended up buying the HDX so haven't asked in a long time).

I expect that the Mits upgrade option requires more work/parts to be done on the guts of the TV as they have taken the IEEE1394 route? US$1,000 is a heck of a lot of dough though if this is true!

PBC

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pbc
I expect that the Mits upgrade option requires more work/parts to be done on the guts of the TV as they have taken the IEEE1394 route? US$1,000 is a heck of a lot of dough though if this is true!
It won't be $1000. It'll likey be $200-300. The mits promise module has a tuner as well which adds to the price.

Mike was trying to equate the mits promise module with the Toshiba DVI upgrade. They're not the same.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
from Mitsubishi's website :

Quote:
We will engineer and manufacture the upgrades necessary so the television you purchase today can be made compatible with near-future advances in digital television and digital interconnectivity. Specifically, we promise that you will be able to have your television upgraded, at a reasonable cost, to include an off-air HDTV tuner, a cable TV tuner (for unscrambled programming), an IEEE 1394 (FireWire®) connection, HAVi system control, and 5C copy protection.
Once again Mfusick posts a knee-jerk response, no doubt due to his apparent obsessive dislike for Toshiba's. Intersting how he states that the jack pack will cost "about a $1000" like this is fact from the mouth of an expert. He only admits later that this figure is really the price for a major upgrade to another manufacturer's product which includes a FREAKIN HDTV TUNER. I'm quite certain he would have been more than happy to have this "information" remain unquestioned, to be read by countless neophytes who in turn may steer clear of Toshiba cause $1000 is a little too much to pay for a DVI input.

Really, really question what this guy posts people.

Joel.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.