AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents are senior citizens, and they like Dramas and Romantic Comedies. Movie selection is primary (I don't know if they would like any series) and HD quality is secondary. Only if programming is fairly similar, would they care about HD. They are not picky like me. ;)

I am thinking they would like either Showtime/The Movie Channel (it is bundled like this here) or HBO, as their first choice, but I am not sure. Other choices are Cinemax and Starz.

Please rank these four premiums in terms of these interests.

(Encore is part of Digital Plus, so they could get it in addition to a premium.)

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Here is what other people like (at least according to Nielsen)

June Pay Channel Rankings May 30-June 26, 2005

Prime Time
Net Cable Universe Rating

HBO 2.4

Cinemax 1.6

Starz 1.2

Showtime 0.9

Encore 0.8

The Movie Channel 0.4

Total Day
Net Cable Universe Rating

HBO 1.3

Cinemax 1.0

Starz 0.7

Encore 0.5

Showtime 0.5

The Movie Channel 0.3

Cableworld.com Source: Turner Entertainment Research and ABC Cable Networks Group, from Nielsen Media Research data.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
If they don't care so much about picture quality, get them Netflix.

My gosh, can't you just have them decide for themselves? Get two or three channels, and drop down to one after a month or so.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
If they are Senior citizens, they won't care for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime et. al. How many Pauley Shore movies you think they will sit through?

I would go with Dish and get them Voom Majestic and Equator, DiscoveryHD and then some of the HD Fare such as TCM.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
If they are Senior citizens, they won't care for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime et. al. How many Pauley Shore movies you think they will sit through?
Is Pauly Shore only supposed to annoy Senior Citizens?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN
I hope Jerry G is paying attention to FredFa's post. I told you noone but you watches showtime...

How can we knock some sense into you?

These people watch:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=567722

I watch. Others watch. No, it isn't as popular as HBO and other channels. But people watch. If no one but me watched, would Showtime still even exist? Of course not. If I hear of a course that teaches common sense, I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
For less than the cost of HBO and SHO you can get the HDPak and VOOM from Dish Network. ($14.99 if you have other Dish programming $19.99 if you have no other Dish programmong.)

In this package there are 4 24/7 100% HD movie channels plus TNT HD with ocasional HD movies.

Rick R

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all of the responses. But, not everyone is techno or even TV savvy like us. :(

My mother is chronically very ill, and usually bed-ridden, and I am trying to give here some TV enjoyment without it being a hassle to her.

I am also going to set them up with a DVR, because she frequently can't stay up to watch some good 10 PM shows. And, also she is in so much pain, that often she only can watch portions of shows, so, now, she will be able to pause and continue it later.

She already is going to have to learn how to use the Harmony remote I bought, but she looked at it and thinks it will be fine.

Netfilx would be a hassle for them.

They live in a Condo Apt., so getting a dish would require wiring the place and patching the walls, she wouldn't allow that when healthy.

I just thought, that some of you could help differentiate the premiums by movie/show selection.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I think older folks may not care for the newer blockbuster type movies that are shown on HBO, etc. How about TCM (Turner Classic Movies)? Not HD, but if they care more about content than PQ ...

Maybe you could get them Netflix and do the web ordering for them.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k
I think older folks may not care for the newer blockbuster type movies that are shown on HBO, etc. How about TCM (Turner Classic Movies)? Not HD, but if they care more about content than PQ ...

They already have TCM; they want new movies.

Maybe you could get them Netflix and do the web ordering for them.
I already have enough work helping take care of her.

If no one has anymore advice, I guess we will just look at the listings, and take a guess at what to get; we can always change it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have HBO, mainly for the shows, but the movies are OK. Hit-and-miss, but catch some good ones every once in awhile.

Used to have Showtime - cancelled it because the movies were just terrible. Recently I had it for 3 weeks, for free, and I watched 1 movie the entire time. All the rest were garbage, IMO.

Based on the listings, Starz seems to have a bunch of movies where I say "hey, I wish I had Starz so I could watch/record that". But maybe that changes after they show the same movies over-and-over.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read that Starz was having ratings problems, so I didn't really think they would be a good option, but they are did ok in June. They were going to bolster their content, maybe they did already.

Maybe they should try that first, they show only movies, AFAIK.

Anybody have Starz, what do you think of it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.