AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can grab either 2 SVS PB-1000's setup or 2 Def Tech SuperCube 8000' for around the same price. Buddy gets a deal on def tech speakers. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts

Is this a serious question or are you just bragging that you can get SuperCube 8000s for 66% off MSRP?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a serious question. I haven't been able to find much info on the supercubes. Didn't know if they were overpriced subs that bestbuy sold. So your telling me their legit?

·
Registered
21 Posts

No, my comment wasn't constructive at all.  I have no experience with the SuperCubes either and their does seem to be a lack of performance data compared to ID subs.  What I can tell you is that I have dual PB-1000s in a 1400^3 ft room and I've very happy with them in regards to FR, clarity and they have no problem pressuring a space my size.  It looks like the DefTechs will dig lower and are significantly more powerful (amp-wise). But some of the features like remote control and front LED panel are gimmicks IMO. Just based on their manufacturer specifications; however, they would seem superior.  But they don't have the warranty or trade-in credit that SVS offers.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383  /t/1525862/help-choose-between-dual-subs#post_24568593

I can grab either 2 SVS PB-1000's setup or 2 Def Tech SuperCube 8000' for around the same price. Buddy gets a deal on def tech speakers. Thanks

I have a SC8000 and a PC12+ (listed in my sig). I have a 1650 cubic ft room, can be closed off with 2 doors.

The SC8000 was OK in this room on its own. It falls off pretty fast below 25hz, has decent output above that to about 100hz then drops off again. It had trouble integrating with the SuperZero speakers I initially were using as they were better with a 120hz crossover than they were at 100hz.

I replaced it with a PC12+. Huge difference. Good output to the mid teens, huge output above 20hz, no drop off at 120hz, better definition, better sound all around. Much better sub overall.

That said, the SC8000 does OK for its size. It seem very well built weighing nearly the same as my PC12+ yet being 1/3 the size. It's very well built. The remote is handy, the built in EQ settings not so much.

I currently use them together. For the most part having the SC in the mix is nice. Adds a nice boost above 20-25hz and smooths out the response some. I only sort of notice it when playing scenes that have strong 20hz and below content. The SC just sits there patiently waiting for the scene to be over.
At higher volume levels I really can't notice the SC dropping out though.

At $500 each they're a good buy, but the PB1000 will have more output below 25hz and similar output above that, plus greater extension above 100hz. The SCs are kind of a lifestyle sub. Something to use if you need a small, nice looking sub. They are very overpriced at anywhere near retail though.

So, from a pure performance aspect, a pair of PB1000 for $949 would be a better choice. You could always get the SC8000s and then try and sell them. You should be able to get $700 or so on ebay or craigslist if you live in a decent size area. Then use the extra money to get a pair of PB2000s or just put it towards the PB1000s.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts