AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title covers the question... I know you guys get asked these questions a lot, It would be greatly appreciate if you guys can help me out. I'm pretty much a newbie when it come to the technical side of this stuff. I think I can manage the build of a flat pack, but not sure on what will integrate the easiest into my current system.

I'm pretty happy with my current setup, but would like a little bit more tactile feel at the seat. I don't necessarily need more extension as the house fees/sounds like it going to crumble already. I use to run both my subs as end tables which gave me excellent tactile feel. I recently moved one sub to a better location to take care of some dips I learned I had after playing with REW, and moved the other behind the sofa. I much prefer the sound now, but lost a little tactile I would like to get back.

I'm think 15" sub build(s). I really can't go big and looking on DIY Sound Group site, my option is to go with the ported cube15 http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1/15-cube/cube15.html, or a sealed 3 cu ft http://www.diysoundgroup.com/sealed-subwoofer-flatpacks/3-sub-flat-pack.html.

The sealed would be ideal size, but I know that would be harder to implement with my current subs. My room is small at 13'3" X 20' x 7'3" and I'm almost thinking the best option is to sell my HSU subs and go with 4 sealed. BUT, I can get away with 3 subs if one new sub behind my seat will give me the output the 2 HSU gave me at nearfield. I could then move both HSU subs up front, or run both HSU nearfield and one new sub up front.

MY AVR is Denon X6200 with Audyssey XT32, which I heavily rely on Audyssey to handle the sub EQ. The only thing I do now is perform the Sub distance tweak. That about where my knowledge ends. I recently bought a Balanced MiniDSP 2x4 but I didn't have any luck implementing it into my current system. Maybe I was using REW EQ wrong, but it didn't help. I mainly bought it to get a feel for when I do build a sub(s) though, so I do have it.

I will also need amp suggestions once I settle on what I'm going with.

I'm including current REW graph with Audyssey on so you can see what my current subs are doing. I'm also including room pics.

Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
REW measurements are with no Smoothing. If any of this even helps in choosing my options. Here is an older graph but with same locations which I took down to 10Hz as opposed to 15Hz on the other.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just lost on what direction to go. I originally figured I would just go with the Dayton RSS390 woofer in the ported Cube15. I could do 1 or 2 up front, but they stick out a few inches more than I prefer. I would need to pull my front speakers forward a few inches so they cleared the sub. Or I could put my two HSU's up front and put the 15" behind my seating, but will it give the added tactile feel of the two HSU put there?

My other thought is to just sell My HSU's for $400 each and go with 3 to 4 Dayton Ultimax 15's in the 3 cu ft Sealed box. I think sealed would play well in my size room.

Thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts