AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A friend is bugging me about helping him find a new set for below $3000. He is about to buy a Wega buts want me to make sure ths is the right choice, not having any experience with Wega's I turn to you for advice. At the moment he watches only cable and dvd's on a Apex(non progressive), he is getting a PS2 soon and will use that for dvd's using the component cables so the set must have that input. I plan on selling him my DTC-100 as soon as a better stb comes out that I can afford hence a VGA input would be nice but not required. From what little I have heard Wega seem to have a bad reputation are any other brands (Toshiba) better? I believe at least one Wega has a form of line doubling built in, would that be ok for dvd watching? And lastly does any Wega have a enhanced 16:9 mode for watching dvd's in the letterboxed format? Thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
For less than $3000 or for any amount in a 36' 4x3 I would get the Sony KV36XBR400.

I am sure you can find it for $2499 or less.

It's a great TV.

Hope this helps

Todd

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ditto ToddD

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Why limit himself to 36"? If his budget is $3000 he can get a Toshiba 61HX70 for $2799 or a 61H70 for $2390. These are both 61" 4:3 sets with vertical compression for HD sources. They won't do compression for DVD's, though. If he can swing a couple of hundred more he can get the TW56X81 for $3099 (last year's 56" 16:9 model) or this year's 56H80 for $3162. Or if he really wants a smaller set he can get the TW40X81 for $1974. Check them all out at www.electroline4u.com

------------------

Vic Ruiz

·
Registered
97 Posts
He should also look at RCA MM36100 or MM36110.

The RCA MM36100,has two VGA Inputs.With The RCA DTC100, with this set is a match made in heaven.No,trancoder,no fixing the screen,no nothing.Just plug in the RGB(VGA) cables and your ready to go.It also has a component in,and this model, is for interlace component in, not,for a progressive DVD player.So with the PS2 its idea for it.The speakers are on the bottom so it give it more of a big look.This set also is great for Computer display,HTPC(dvd on the comp to the TV)and still the best display you can see on a tv for video games,the Dreamcast via the VGA box!!The set run about $1800.00 ,might be less now if you shop,and if he gets a DTC100 with the 24in. dish,the total should be about 2499.00 or less.There is also a trancoder from key digtal which will,take a progressive dvd player into the RGB(VGA) for a Progressive singal not a interlace singal when the time come ,if he wishes to move into a dvd player with Progressive out.

Now the MM36110.Its also has Component and is able to take in a Progressive singal from a DVD.The speakers on this set or on the side,and the set is made to look almost flat in the way they made it.I think it runs at 2100.00 or more..Plus this set is to address some of the problems that the MM36100 had.

And theres the 52100,If he has the room for it.Just like the MM36100,but has a Progressive input.Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Nilson (edited 01-07-2001).]

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the MM36100 and love it. Great picture. Radio Shack gas the MM36100 and the DTC-100 in a package deal for $2300 on sale.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Frankp - I have the 36" Sony XBR400 and am extremely pleased with it. This is the Wega unit with the built in line-doubler (the 32" has a doubler as well). Actually the doubler is DRC (Digital Reality Creation) as Sony calls it which line doubles and pixel doubles horizontally.

However, with a 480P input signal (say from a progressive scan DVD player) the line doubler is disabled. As well, a high def input (1080i) the line doubler is disabled. Also, the set does the vertical compression squeeze for 16x9 material.

I'm running a Toshiba 6200 progressive scan DVD player into it and love it. I calibrated the set (at the service menu level) with Avia and Video Essentials for color and geomoetry and this made a big difference from the factory settings.

With a good input the picture is extremely good in my opinion. I have not had the opportunity to try the set with 1080i input, but others on the forum have been quite pleased with this set being fed OTA high def. However, keep in mind its grill only has 710 slots horizontally.

However, in making a set selection may I suggest your friend consider the following:

- Amount of 4x3 material to be viewed

- Amount of 16x9 material to be viewed

- Size of anamorphic material on a 4x3 set

- Size of 4x3 material on a 16x9 set

- General satisfaction with the picture in actual comparisons of sets

- Burn-in (in either format set)

- Weight (the 36" xbr400 weighs 238 lbs!)

- Viewing distance

- Set features that may or may not fit your needs

- Satisfaction with stretch modes on 16x9 sets

- Of course, cost and value

Please note as well that I'm pleased with the line doubler when it is given a good input signal. However, at times with Directv compression on some stations the picture can be a bit pixelated. As well, line doubling on a 480I signal can not be turned off.

Good luck.

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, yes he is set on getting the Wega. I went to Sound Advice here in Fla. and demoed the set. I was worried abut the fact the DRC could not be disabled on the 480i sources as the cable signal here from Comcast is not the best. Yes I know about the MM36 because I own that set but he has seen the picture and has decided it has to be a Wega, and the fact of the dvd squeeze mode on the Wega which the MM36 cannot do. I did read some reviews on e-opinions and there was mention of a problem with placing speakers to close which could be a problem in his setup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about the Princeton Graphics sets? The AR3.6T if you don't need component video in's or the AR3.6HTX if you do. The PG's accept 720p and double as a computer monitor. Neither is as user friendly ad the Sony XBR's, but the picture is very good. The AR3.6T is priced ~$2800 via many internet retailers. The AR3.6HTX is more, but you can still get it for ~$3K.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have a Hitachi 36SDX01S 36 inch direct view HD monitor and it works great for me!

You can see it on the web at:

http://hitachi.com/products/consumer/audiovisual/digitaltv/dtvsdx/halp-ZZZ5BAPIIAC.html

It is similar to the RCA 36 inch models, with the following differences:

1. Built in line doubler for all non-HD signals (S-video, OTA tuner, ...)

2. The Component input can be set for progressive scan.

3. Component input has switchable Anamorphic squeeze (16:9 mode, separate from VGA).

4. RCA has USB, Hitachi has PS2. (Does anybody use either on their TV?)

5. Hitachi has only one audio input to share between the two VGA video inputs (the RCA has two).

The most noticable viewing difference is the line doubling on non-VGA/RGB program sources (the RCA looks like a regular TV with standard interlaced scan lines, while the Hitachi looks like a digital TV with progressive scan).

I use an RCA DTC-100 HD Tuner STB connected via VGA/RGB and a Toshiba SD-5109 progressive scan DVD player connected via Component/Progressive input. No adapters were needed to connect or operate either one with the TV.

All my other video sources are connected via S-video through my Kenwood receiver. For the sake of simpler operation, I have ALSO connected the DTC-100 and the SD-5109 S-video outputs to the Kenwood so that all A/V sources can be selected through the receiver. (This keeps the rest of my family happy and able to use the mini-home theater.)

Where my biggest difference occurs is with my DirecTiVo DSS/PVR. It only has S-video as its best quality output. The Hitachi TV line doubles that to display in progressive scan. The RCA has no means of displaying an S-video input in progressive scan (that I know of).

I personally am not happy watching my DTC-100 satellite or OTA HD programs via the S-video path (line doubled), so I change the Hitachi TV input from Video 1 (S-video as selected from the Kenwood receiver) to Video 2 (Component input direct from the DVD player) to watch DVDs at the highest quality (16:9 anamorphic with progressive scan), or change the TV input to RGB (VGA input direct from the STB) to watch the DTC-100 at the highest quality (16:9 or 4:3 with progressive scan) In both cases, in addition to much higher resolution, the COLOR fidelity and accuracy is MUCH better than the S-video versions.

So, I have the combination of simple operation to watch any S-video source (all selected via the Kenwood receiver) and slightly more confusing operation by changing the TV (HD monitor) input selection to get HD quality RGB or component video.

To simplify all of that I have programmed two macro's on my Cinema 7 universal remote. One macro forces the TV input to Video 1 and the DTC-100 to non-HD output (using a discrete, advanced code) to restore the simple mode of operation. It serves as a PANIC reset button if a user gets confused and can't seem to recover. The other macro forces the TV input to RGB and the DTC-100 output to HD (again a discrete code).

I am still working on a macro for switching the DVD from S-video to Component. The TV part is easy (switch from Video 1 to Video 2) but the DVD part requires some tricky menu operations to change the output back and forth between 4:3 for S-video operation and 16:9 for anamorphic ("enhanced for widescreen") operation. It may have to be two macro's--one to go in each direction--because the SD-5109 toggling is different for each (I have not yet discovered simpler, discrete codes for these operations in the SD-5109).

To summarize, in a TV/HD monitor I wanted VGA for the DTC-100 STB (satellite, cable and OTA) and component video with progressive scan for the SD-5109 DVD player. I also wanted other S-video sources (DirecTiVo and S-VHS VCR) and the internal tuner in the TV to display in progressive scan. In other words, EVERYTHING displays in progressive scan, with varying resolution and quality from line-doubled NTSC to anamorphic progressive scan DVD to native HDTV from satellite or off the air.

I paid $1600 for my Hitachi HD-ready TV/monitor, discounted in part because I also purchased the Toshiba SD-5109 DVD (discounted to $450) and a Kenwood HTIB package all at the same time. They threw in high grade component cables and a digital coax audio cable for free. All was purchased at Video One in the Seattle area.

Note that the RCA and Hitachi have the same high resolution picture tube and both can be used as a SVGA (800x600) or VGA (640x480) computer monitor.

I also looked at a similar Toshiba HD-ready 36 inch TV, but it lacked VGA inputs and I didn't want to add a Component to VGA/RGB converter to make it work with my DTC-100.

[This message has been edited by Budget_HT (edited 03-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Princeton has a brand new 36" model, the AI3.6HD, which is similar to the AR3.6T but with the added feature of having an iScan built into the set. It also comes with a keyboard for Chanel 1 internet service (which I don't know much about), and you should be able to buy this model for under $3K.

I concur also that the 34" Sampo Widescreen, which is also available under $3K is quite good, also XGA capable.

Note also, that when the RCA 38" Widescreen hits the market again after the recall, they will also be available most likely for under $3K.

Kei Clark

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
See the April Issue of the magazine "Sound and Vision" for a fairly complete listing of direct view HD receivers and monitors. I'm not sure why, but the Toshiba CN36X81 is not listed there. The article says that the listings were provided by the manufacturers. As usual, most every set listed can be purchased for considerably less than the manufacturer's suggested price shown in the article.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Best Buy is selling the MM36110 (MSRP $2199) for $1699 this week (4/1 - 4/7/01).

------------------
nn2g2bT = Not NECESSARILY Too Good to be True

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all-

This is my first post, glad to be a member of the forum.

Budget_HT, I have a subscription to S&V and I was considering the Toshiba CN36X81 at one time. Just to let you know, the CN36X81 has been discontinued by Toshiba. From what I've read online, they will be releasing information on the new crop of TVs sometime in the next few months. Whether there will be a monitor similar in specifications to the CN36X81 has yet to be determined.

I'm planning a purchase sometime in July. It took me awhile to get past the built-in and seemingly grandma-oriented Ch.1 service and keyboard style remote, but right now the Princeton Ai3.6HD is at the top of my list. I'm still looking, but I have yet to find a 36inch 4:3 direct-view monitor that can match it's capabilities and features.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.