AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 27 inch CRT and I want to finally get an LCD HD TV. I need help choosing a set. I've read all the reviews on Cnet and other sites.


First my requirements:


Must be a 46 or 47 inch. Must fit in my nook which is exactly 46 inches wide physically, so a set that's 46 or 47 is physically under 46 inches wide.


Must be a LCD


I want 120hz because I don't want any motion blurring. I am presuming that I need 120hz? I'm not gonna be buying a TV every few years, so I want something that's decent, mid-level and will last. I'll be getting HD TV, but I don't have a blu ray player and probably will NOT be getting on in the future.


I don't want bottom of the line Vizio.


My budget is $1000 to $1400. I could go higher, but. I'd like to stay in that range if possible?


Samsung: After reading on here, and Cnet, it seems Samsung has too many problems with the 550? It's the same price range/things I'm looking for, but it has the whole S, A, C panel dilemma. After reading on here, and that Samsung tech that was trying to defend the company, I wasn't very convinced that they are the same. I'm rather convinced now to avoid Samsung. The problem is that they make about 70% of the sets out there that are LCD and 46 inches.


Sony: They seem over priced, and many have that 2 inch glass around them which makes their 46/47 inch sets actually larger than 46 inches in real width.


LG: the LG 47LG70 (?) seems like the best bet to me. Nothing too negative in the reviews and a bit cheaper than the Sony. It's still a bit too expensive and not too many stores carry it.


Sharp, Panasonic, etc. They seem like 2nd tier brands and don't see to have too much out there? How is their 46 inch LCD 120hz sets?


Once I find a set, it's even more difficult to buy it because I want to get it from a store that has a real return policy. I.e. full refund, exchange for any reason etc.

I don't want to buy online cuz of the hassles of return, or not allowing a return when it has 1 dead pixel etc. I want an easy return policy.


I live in the bay area (California). Any suggestions for stores?


Walmart seems to have only low end stuff.

Costco doesn't seem to have any 120hz sets. Do their physical stores have diff sets than their web-site?

Fry's return policy is no returns for LCD's.

This leaves me with Best Buy? Which is very over-priced.


Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
I have an LN40A550 and I have yet to come across any problems.


It's a fine set to watch sports, play video games and blu-ray discs on.


If you want to stay within budget, i'd highly recommend the LN46A550.


If you're willing to bump up your budget, I would go for the LN46A630. My buddy has that set and it has a beautiful picture.


Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Well, you don't want to pay for Sony, and you don't trust Samsung, so you've just eliminated the two top LCD makes, pretty much (in terms of picture quality). Which is just as well, since, you'd probably have to buy online to get a 46" within your stated budget for the Sonys and the better Samsungs, and you say you don't want to buy online.


So, you're likely looking at a good 2nd tier make, such as Sharp, LG, or Toshiba (Panasonic doesn't make LCDs larger than 37", though that may change eventually). Of those, I've liked LG's picture quality the best, but that's me.


Couldn't really recommend a good brick-and-mortar store. I'm consistently horrified by their prices ('cept for the occasional Fry's special, but I hate and distrust Fry's in general), so I'm likely going to buy online.


Wish you luck in your search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
You seem to have created so many exceptions that you now have little to no options. But I will see what I can do.


Amazon White Glove Delivery really is awesome. But since you don't want to do online, I would say try Circuit City. They have a price protection policy, and a good return policy.


Right now Circuit City has this TV. It is a 46" Toshiba Regza, 120Hz, 1080P etc.. It is a very nice TV, with good reviews. CC has it for $1399. You can see if there is a printable coupon online somewhere. That is the only TV I can see in your budget, from a local dealer.


Now if you're willing to look at online dealers and Plasma's, you would have a lot more choices.


As far as the whole Samsung panel, over-hyped controversy thing, that's what it is, over-hyped. Each panel is different. Even if it's from the same plant and manufacturer. In the end, it comes down to how you feel about your purchase. You see what you want to see. You should feel like you got your money's worth. Of course a $4000 Kuro is going to look better than a $1000 Westinghouse. But if you're happy with the Westinghouse than what does it matter that you have a slight banding effect and your blacks are on the gray side?


What I'm saying is, don't read all the threads about Samsung panel types and automatically rule them out. You can do all the research you want, then you walk out of the store with a brand/model you didn't even research, because it had the best picture you could see. Go to a store! Buying a TV isn't so much about the specs, it's about how you like the picture, and if you can deal with the limitations of the TV while staying in your price range.


As far as tiers go, I see the brands like this:

Tier 1

Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Panasonic

Tier 2

LG, Toshiba, Sharp

Tier 3

Vizio, Westinghouse, Insignia


There are more brands to each tier, but you get the point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsube /forum/post/15500892


You seem to have created so many exceptions that you now have little to no options. But I will see what I can do.


Amazon White Glove Delivery really is awesome. But since you don't want to do online, I would say try Circuit City. They have a price protection policy, and a good return policy.


Right now Circuit City has this TV. It is a 46" Toshiba Regza, 120Hz, 1080P etc.. It is a very nice TV, with good reviews. CC has it for $1399. You can see if there is a printable coupon online somewhere. That is the only TV I can see in your budget, from a local dealer.


Now if you're willing to look at online dealers and Plasma's, you would have a lot more choices.


As far as the whole Samsung panel, over-hyped controversy thing, that's what it is, over-hyped. Each panel is different. Even if it's from the same plant and manufacturer. In the end, it comes down to how you feel about your purchase. You see what you want to see. You should feel like you got your money's worth. Of course a $4000 Kuro is going to look better than a $1000 Westinghouse. But if you're happy with the Westinghouse than what does it matter that you have a slight banding effect and your blacks are on the gray side?


What I'm saying is, don't read all the threads about Samsung panel types and automatically rule them out. You can do all the research you want, then you walk out of the store with a brand/model you didn't even research, because it had the best picture you could see. Go to a store! Buying a TV isn't so much about the specs, it's about how you like the picture, and if you can deal with the limitations of the TV while staying in your price range.


As far as tiers go, I see the brands like this:

Tier 1

Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Panasonic

Tier 2

LG, Toshiba, Sharp

Tier 3

Vizio, Westinghouse, Insignia


There are more brands to each tier, but you get the point.

I agree with some of what you say but as far as your tiers go It is so much about perception. As far as what is perceived to be true, you are right. The Lg, toshiba and sharp tvs are tier 1 in lcd, right up there with samsung and sony. Most people seem to think that if you pay more for something then you must be getting something better.That is not always the case.The pioneer and panasonics arent even players in the lcd market. Panasonic doesnt even sell anything above a 37" lcd. Samsung and sony spend so much on advertising that they should sell more tvs. But does that make them a better tv, or a tier 1? Yes. Insignia and westinghouse are not in the same league as vizio. I really believe vizio will be a top tier tv in the near future. At some point they will have largest market share and they will be perceived to be the best just as sony and samsung are now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjoe /forum/post/15504484


The Lg, toshiba and sharp tvs are tier 1 in lcd, right up there with samsung and sony.

No, not IMO anyway.


I myself hadn't really looked seriously at HDTVs in a few years, and now that I was in the market for one, I intentionally didn't read or solicit advice before I started viewing sets. I did this intentionally, so I wouldn't have any preconceptions, and could go by what I saw in pic quality alone.


The conclusions I came to on my own were almost exactly what ptsube describes:


Tier 1: Sony, Samsung

Tier 2: LG*, Sharp, Toshiba

Tier 3: Insignia (haven't viewed Vizio or Westinghouse enough yet to judge)


* LG's almost Tier 1, IMO


Quote:
Most people seem to think that if you pay more for something then you must be getting something better. That is not always the case.

See above. So fixated was I on pic quality alone being my basis for judgement that I would even intentionally not look at the price tag or brand name before I judged, only the picture.


What I suspect is happening, price-wise, is that Sony and Samsung are well-aware they have a PQ advantage overall, so they feel they can charge more. Not the other way around.


(Though I would add that, with Sony, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is likely inflated self-image.)


Quote:
The pioneer and panasonics arent even players in the lcd market. Panasonic doesnt even sell anything above a 37" lcd.

I would imagine that the poster was probably aware of that, but felt that Pioneer and Panny plasmas were Tier 1 in terms of image quality. As he says, earlier on in the post:

"Now if you're willing to look at online dealers and Plasma's, you would have a lot more choices."


Quote:
Samsung and sony spend so much on advertising that they should sell more tvs. But does that make them a better tv, or a tier 1? Yes.

Well, that and the really great image quality they generally have. YMMV, but I know what I see.



Far as your Vizio comments go, you may well be correct, but I haven't really bothered with them thus far. Next time I'm in a store, I'll check 'em out and see if they measure up at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
i see it like this



tier 1. sony saamsung toshiba


tier 2. sharp panasonic vizo westinghouse


tier 3. maxent insinga
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
I would take a look at the toshiba that ptsube provided a link for in his post. That is an excellent tv with a lot of features. Pretty close to their 545 but without autoview and srt.


System shock2 and Ptsube- I respect your opinions and I know it is shared by many but I really dont see samsung and sony as being so much better than toshiba, sharp and lg that you can put them in higher tier. Although I completely understand what you are saying and would agree with most of it.


I would also add that I do not believe that vizio is a top tier tv at this time. I just think they are above most of the budget brands such as sanyo, emerson, insignia, dynex, magnavox etc... in quality. In my opinion they still dont measure up to your better sets. We have a 32" vizio in my daughters bedroom that has a decent picture and serves its purpose but it really doesnt compare to the toshibas or the samsung that I've owned.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top