AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from you guys in choosing a 52" LCD.

Do not take price into consideration at all, as they are both free choices for me. Mom won them in a promotion, im just trying to figure out which one is the better choice.

It is not for computer, gaming use as well.

It is for the whole family, watching movies and television, and some nintendo wii gaming for the little brother.

Its either:

SONY BRAVIA KDL52V5100
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...n100472n100444
http://toplcdhdtv.com/sony-hdtv/sony-kdl52v5100-review/

or

SHARP AQUOS LC52D65U
http://www.sharp.ca/products/index.a...1&mod=specs&f=
http://toplcdhdtv.com/sharp-hdtv/sharp-lc52d65u-review/

Please take a quick peak and let me know which specifications look better.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecatter /forum/post/16986830

because he has to pick from one of these two models. Did you even read his post?

Again my question stands, why are you even considering the 65U. It's last years model and doesnt compare to the Sony. The Sony wins hands down.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnked6 /forum/post/16991084

Again my question stands, why are you even considering the 65U. It's last years model and doesnt compare to the Sony. The Sony wins hands down.

Again the question stands: Did you read his post? Your question makes no sense, John!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your help guys.

Yes unfortunately those are the only two specific models we have in our promotion catalog, and wierdly they are the same amount of "points" which we got enough for.

We chose the Sony one.

Thanks again for the help guys

Now just gotta wait 4-6 weeks untill they ship it. Jeez. lol.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i got the v5100 and i have to tell you it sucked.

1) 8bit LCD and you notice it

2) really bad scaler

3) 4 !! HDMI inputs on the side of the TV (if you have more than one hdmi it will have to stick out of the side

P.S i returned it and got the sharp 77. MUCH much better.

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeed /forum/post/17020444

i got the v5100 and i have to tell you it sucked.

1) 8bit LCD and you notice it

2) really bad scaler

3) 4 !! HDMI inputs on the side of the TV (if you have more than one hdmi it will have to stick out of the side

P.S i returned it and got the sharp 77. MUCH much better.

you will hardly notice any difference with an 8-bit and 10-bit. Seriously, there aren't many sources taking advantage of higherbit rating. Sony's SD scaler is probably one of the best i've seen... just a step behind Samsung which seems to be the best in SD. And the 4 HDMI cables on the side would work for some people; like me where I would wallmount with a lowprofile and having HDMI on the back will call for more problems in that situation. If not, there's always an available HDMI 90degree port or something in monoprice....

Sony's got my vote.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/17022757

you will hardly notice any difference with an 8-bit and 10-bit. Seriously, there aren't many sources taking advantage of higherbit rating. Sony's SD scaler is probably one of the best i've seen... just a step behind Samsung which seems to be the best in SD. And the 4 HDMI cables on the side would work for some people; like me where I would wallmount with a lowprofile and having HDMI on the back will call for more problems in that situation. If not, there's always an available HDMI 90degree port or something in monoprice....

Sony's got my vote.

Did or do you actually have this TV ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
no doubt....go for Sony. for family use-- good picture quality, simple & attractive design, built-in speakers, good audio quality,full 1080p...

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virp123 /forum/post/17024892

no doubt....go for Sony. for family use-- good picture quality, simple & attractive design, built-in speakers, good audio quality,full 1080p...

I'm curious....

i find it hard to believe someone would actually say that if they had it in thier living room.

Do you own this TV ?

You can definitely see the 8bit panel low quality. i had the same exact experience that is described on this page if you go down to the section that talks about the 10bit advantage.

it's definitely noticeable especially on dark scenes.

oh and p.s why are you considering the 65 ? get the 77. It's really good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts