AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My price point is $500. or less. Some of these are new in boxes, some used. I am looking to upgrade to something with HDMI inputs/outputs and 7.1 is a must. I have an Oppo BDP 103 which will be my blu ray and music cd source. Another factor in my decision will be to have the ability to have Pre Outs for an external amp which will power speakers soley for music listening. Any suggestions other than what I have listed are welcomed as well as any other input.

Thank You kindly!

 

 

 

Denon AVR 791

Denon AVR 2310CI

Denon AVR E-400

Denon AVR 4306

Harman Kardon AVR 2650

Harman Kardon 1710
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,065 Posts
The Denon 791, 2310, E400, HK 1710 and 2650 don't have the preouts you're looking for.


Some have Zone 2 preouts but I don't think that's really what you want.


The Denon 4306 has a full set of preouts. The only drawback to the 4306 is the HDMI inputs cannot decode TrueHD or DTS-MA audio from Blu Ray. It will decode Dolby Digital and DTS from DVD though. This receiver only uses HDMI 1.1. You need ver 1.3 or higher to decode TrueHD and DTS-MA.


Blu Ray and HD-DVD were brand new when this receiver was released.


Otherwise the 4306 is a much higher end receiver that the other 5 on your list.


Since you have the Oppo maybe letting it do the the decoding is probably best anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you for the help! May need to increase my limit another 100 bucks!!

 

Currently I have an H/K AVR-245 It gets the job done with my Oppo for movie watching. My whole problem is wanting to run a seperate set of speakers for music. My front surround speakers are not large enough to handle music for my listening preferences.... (at the levels I like :eek:)

 

Now heres something I cant understand. On my 245, there is a pre out.(not the one for the rear most speakers of the 7.1 channels) The manual says "use this if a more powerful amp is desired".... Ok, fine. I hooked it up using the L&R audio cables into the L&R of my external amp. The problem is that music always plays through the front surrounds as well as the external amp/speakers. Shouldnt using a pre out bypass all the other outputs for the surrounds? Audio hook up is analog from the Oppo to the H/K and 7.1 speaker outputs.

 

Ive also tried using the tape out jacks on the H/K and that does seem to give full power to the external amp.... BUT, I still have sound coming from the front surrounds. I have to manually turn it down all the way then use the external amps volume control knobs for levels.

 

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but Im on the fence about buying a new AVR and wanting one that addresses my issues....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24129761


Here is a new avr that has preouts and handles the newer decoding standards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377&Tpk=yamaha%20773 . The yamaha 773 is under your limit and is normally on sale with free shipping at newegg. It is cheaper because the newer yamaha 775 is out and yamaha lowered the previous models price.
Thank You... that looks like the zone 2 has speaker outputs all its own. I would guess that means audio would only be heard from those speakers when zone 2 is selected. So, this could negate me even having to use an external amp.....I wonder if the sub out will work when zone 2 is selected... great price too!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24130044


Thank You... that looks like the zone 2 has speaker outputs all its own. I would guess that means audio would only be heard from those speakers when zone 2 is selected. So, this could negate me even having to use an external amp.....I wonder if the sub out will work when zone 2 is selected... great price too!!

Yes, there are zone 2 speaker posts. Or if you need more power, you use the zone 2 preouts. When you enable zone 2 regardless of whether you use the speaker posts or preouts, I believe your main zone will turn off the surround back channels and turn to 5.1 only. But I think that you can have someone using the main zone(5.1) at the same time as when someone is using zone 2 regardless of what output for speakers is used. The subwoofer for the main zone should still work when zone 2 is selected. And you can select party mode which will play the same thing in main zone and zone 2. However, if you are not using party mode, only the analog or internal(pandora, airplay, tuner) inputs can be used as the source for zone 2.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
92,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr/0_100#post_24130044


Thank You... that looks like the zone 2 has speaker outputs all its own. I would guess that means audio would only be heard from those speakers when zone 2 is selected. So, this could negate me even having to use an external amp.....I wonder if the sub out will work when zone 2 is selected... great price too!!

The sub pre-out only works with the main zone speakers. You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24130664


The sub pre-out only works with the main zone speakers. You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal.

Yeah, I didn't know whether he meant using the sub for main or zone 2. I don't think the yamaha supports a subwoofer for zone 2 since there are only 2 speaker outputs for zone 2. Are there receivers that can support subwoofers through speaker posts rather than a sub preout? Maybe for passive subs or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

There are 2 sub pre outs....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24132539


As is generally the case .. the one directly above it.

The post directly above it says "There are 2 sub pre outs...." which wasn't a question. My question before that was "Are there receivers that can support subwoofers through speaker posts rather than a sub preout? Maybe for passive subs or something?". I must be missing something simple(wouldn't be the first time :)) but I don't understand what question you were answering since the only question was asking whether there were receivers that support subwoofers through speaker posts. If you were saying you could have a second subwoofer for zone 2 through a splitter on the sub preout, that only copies the main zone and would not allow a subwoofer for zone 2. The yamaha 773 already has 2 subwoofer preouts anyway(probably equivalent to a y splitter) but I believe both only support the main zone.


jdsmoothie, you said before "You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal". If a second sub took up a set of zone 2 speaker post connections, wouldn't that take one of the zone 2 front speakers meaning you would have a 1 front speaker and 1 subwoofer? The real limitation is there are only 2 zone 2 audio outputs for the yamaha 773 meaning two fronts seem to be the only possibility. Let me know if there is something I am missing.


I wish I knew whether the OP was asking whether a sub would work in the main zone when zone 2 was enabled(Yes, it should work fine), or if they wanted to use a sub in zone 2(I don't think that will work on the yamaha 773 since the subs are for the main zone).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24132743



The post directly above it says "There are 2 sub pre outs...." which wasn't a question. My question before that was "Are there receivers that can support subwoofers through speaker posts rather than a sub preout? Maybe for passive subs or something?". I must be missing something simple(wouldn't be the first time :)) but I don't understand what question you were answering since the only question was asking whether there were receivers that support subwoofers through speaker posts. If you were saying you could have a second subwoofer for zone 2 through a splitter on the sub preout, that only copies the main zone and would not allow a subwoofer for zone 2. The yamaha 773 already has 2 subwoofer preouts anyway(probably equivalent to a y splitter) but I believe both only support the main zone.


jdsmoothie, you said before "You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal". If a second sub took up a set of zone 2 speaker post connections, wouldn't that take one of the zone 2 front speakers meaning you would have a 1 front speaker and 1 subwoofer? The real limitation is there are only 2 zone 2 audio outputs for the yamaha 773 meaning two fronts seem to be the only possibility. Let me know if there is something I am missing.


I wish I knew whether the OP was asking whether a sub would work in the main zone when zone 2 was enabled(Yes, it should work fine), or if they wanted to use a sub in zone 2(I don't think that will work on the yamaha 773 since the subs are for the main zone).
 
I am sorry for confusing things here.... I was asking if zone 2 would have the  sub out active.... It wont.... JDSmoothie was actually saying the 2 sub outs I was referring to is merely a Y splitter.. The suggestion of using a second sub, (btw I have 2 powered subs).... I could use a second sub in zone 2 using the high line inputs on the sub wired off the L&R speakers in zone 2. Bi wiring is what I think this would be...
 
What Im trying to accomplish is almost having 2 complete seperate systems..... within one. Right now I have no choice but to use a second receiver to accomplish having a single volume control and an active sub pre out. My 2 music listening speakers are hooked to this seperate receiver. There seems no way to segregate zone 2 completely using the H/K AVR that I use for movie watching. I dont want any sound from the main zone while playing music through zone 2. Im not 100% sure if the RX 773 will play music through zone 2 omiiting any sound to the main zone. I could enable a sub with the bi wiring method mentioned above. If I was 100% positive, I might buy it or something with the same capabilities.
 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Ahh, I apologize to jdsmoothie. I was definitely confused and now understand he was just explaining the same thing I did, that both sub outs are playing the same thing for the main zone.


I see what you are saying that you could connect a speaker cable to the zone 2 binding posts and then the cable would have to be split so that the signal could go to both the subwoofer and fronts. I don't know if that would work. Goes beyond my knowledge.


As for whether you can totally turn off sound from main zone while the zone 2 is playing, I haven't seen anything saying that isn't possible. But feel free to look into yourself. Here is the manual: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=55179
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24133667


Ahh, I apologize to jdsmoothie. I was definitely confused and now understand he was just explaining the same thing I did, that both sub outs are playing the same thing for the main zone.


I see what you are saying that you could connect a speaker cable to the zone 2 binding posts and then the cable would have to be split so that the signal could go to both the subwoofer and fronts. I don't know if that would work. Goes beyond my knowledge.


As for whether you can totally turn off sound from main zone while the zone 2 is playing, I haven't seen anything saying that isn't possible. But feel free to look into yourself. Here is the manual: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=55179
Thanks for all of your input. Do you own the RXV-773?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24134540


Thanks for all of your input. Do you own the RXV-773?

Yes, I actually just got it about a month ago from newegg. I would try out what you are asking(zone 2 plays while main zone doesn't), but I don't have a second pair of speakers to test with. I am currently using only 2 fronts on it until I figure out what surround speakers to get. I don't have a subwoofer either. But let me know if you want me to try out something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1  /t/1508171/help-choosing-a-new-avr#post_24134783



Yes, I actually just got it about a month ago from newegg. I would try out what you are asking(zone 2 plays while main zone doesn't), but I don't have a second pair of speakers to test with. I am currently using only 2 fronts on it until I figure out what surround speakers to get. I don't have a subwoofer either. But let me know if you want me to try out something else.
Thank you very kindly!!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top