AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my surround sound setup just under a year ago but since i first started building my setup 7+ years ago, my first purchase was the receiver that doesn't have HDMI.

So im looking to purchase a receiver to go with my following speaker setup:

Polkaudio

Center - CSIA4 - 180W

Fronts - RTIA7 - 300W

Rears - FXIA4 - 125W

Sub - Sony SA-WM500 - 150W amp

Current receiver - Sony STRDE-695 6.1 100W/ch

While looking at receivers I notice alot are under 100W/ch for somthing out of my price range and am worried I would have to spend to much for somthing with more wattage.

Is it necessary to go above 100W ?

What is a good wattage range i should look for ?

Im also looking at geting somthing with 7.1 cause in the near future I shall be moving to a place with more space and would love to purchase more speakers to a 7.1 surround setup.

Any suggested receivers or any info ??

Thanks

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
Sadly, receiver manufacturers are finding all sorts of ways to publish misleading power ratings for their entry-level receivers. The most reliable way to find out the capacity of a receiver is to look at the rating of its power supply, not at the rating of its audio amplifiers. UL's requirements are extremely stringent. In general, waving ones hands, getting an AVR with a power supply rating of more than 400W probably would be reasonable.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
A good source for details can usually found at the Secrets of Home Theater web site.

When they perform a full test of a product they will state the real specs of a product, under given load conditions.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef360 /forum/post/18305915

Is it necessary to go above 100W ?

Not at all. Take a look at the Denon 1910 which would likely meet your needs. You can review it better in the 1st post of the 1910/790 Owners thread . Although you might also want to wait for the new 2011 models coming out in May which will have HDMI 1.4 jacks if 3D will be important to you down the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3D is still to new, that i can wait a year or so after its gone mainstream... made the mistake the first time buying 1080p tv when that was first introduced to more retail stores.

thanks for the info..ill check those links and sites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts