AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to upgrade my AV Receiver. My speaker arrangement is as follows:

Front--Klipsch RF 82IIs
Center--Klipsch RC 62II
RS--Klipsch RS52 IIs
Sub--HSU VTF -15H MK2 (soon purchasing)

65% HT / 35% Music

I have narrowed my search to Denon AVR X4100 or Pioneer Elite SC61.

Any thoughts on these 2 or another recommendation. Calibration is important to me as well as having at least dual zone audio and video.

·
The Village Idiot
9,645 Posts
I'd go with the Denon. MultEQ XT32 is by most accounts much better at room correction than Pioneer/Onkyo or Yamaha room correction. Having owned a couple of high end Onkyo/Integra preamp processors and one AVR with XT32, and a Yamaha (V3900) I'd have to agree. I've never owned a Pioneer with room correction. The Yamaha did a reasonably good job of taming the house curve with my subs the Audyssey XT32 did a much better job. Too bad Yamaha doesn't buy into Audyssey - they are IMO much better built.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have to add ceiling speakers to take advantage of Atmos right? I haven't seen any BluRays with Atmos yet either. I suppose the Denon would serve me well for years to come with the technology offered in the 4100 model.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would have to add ceiling speakers to take advantage of Atmos right? I haven't seen any BluRays with Atmos yet either. I suppose the Denon would serve me well for years to come with the technology offered in the 4100 model.
Could just wait til the new receivers in the fall come out with the DTS-X. Seems from the talk going on with it, is that it will give more flexibility on speaker placement for those who may not be able to put speakers in the ceiling or dont feel comfortable doing that. :)

·
Premium Member
90,844 Posts
Atmos uses either Front/rear wall, ceiling, or upward firing modules placed on top of existing floor speakers. There are about 8 or so Atmos Blu Rays in the USA; however, the X4100W also includes the new Dolby Surround upmixer (replaces Dolby Digital PLIIz/x) which would simulate audio to the wall/ceiling/upward firing modules when used with non-Atmos movies (which many actually prefer much better than the current mixing on the available Atmos BDs). Call for pricing and additional information if interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts