AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, what are some good subwoofer brands, especially ones that offer the best price/ performance ratio?

The room I'll be using it in is (WxLxH) is 10'x19'x8'.

I don't need it to be incredibly loud, just to put out low, undistorted bass for movie watching and gaming. I'd like to be able to "feel" the sound though.

Appearance is not important, but black is preferred.

Budget is $400

Probably needs to be powered (receiver only)

Thoughts? Recommendations?

-thanks

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
There are a billion threads on this already. Please do a search.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Not in any particular order and not all inclusive:

HSU STF-2 (10")

Lava 10" or 12 " (find the promo code for AVS members for a discount)

BIC PL-200 (12", search on eBay for best price)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You might want to to consider upping your budget a bit, if you really want to get something good for a room that size. That way you could get 1 really good sub or 2 $400.00 subs that would help out with smoothing out your response for that room.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it helps, the room is fairly long and narrow, and I'll be in the upper half of the room (10'x10'x8) near the sub, unless that won't matter since the room is already kinda large.

So far the ones I'm considering are:

BIC PL-200 12" $350

Lava LSP12 12" $350

HSU STF-2 10" $320

Emotiva ultra sub 12 12" $370

I take it these are some good brands for subs?

What is the best material for woofers?

Will building your own sub give you the best bang for your buck, or does that only apply to subs out of my price range?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A11 /forum/post/19598331

If it helps, the room is fairly long and narrow, and I'll be in the upper half of the room (10'x10'x8) near the sub, unless that won't matter since the room is already kinda large.

So far the ones I'm considering are:

BIC PL-200 12" $350

Lava LSP12 12" $350

HSU STF-2 10" $320

Emotiva ultra sub 12 12" $370

I take it these are some good brands for subs?

What is the best material for woofers?

Will building your own sub give you the best bang for your buck, or does that only apply to subs out of my price range?

It's great to know brands but the subwoofer needs to be sized for the room. A small sealed sub might sound awesome in a small office or den, but not fill a larger room. The larger vented 12" subs might do well in a small to smallish-medium sized room but choke in a larger room.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not looking for perfection, just the best sub I can get for under $400. I won't be using it exclusively for this room, I may use it in smaller rooms as well (8x9x8). I prefer accurate sound reproduction (hi fi) over loud and boomy.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19598474

It's great to know brands but the subwoofer needs to be sized for the room. A small sealed sub might sound awesome in a small office or den, but not fill a larger room. The larger vented 12" subs might do well in a small to smallish-medium sized room but choke in a larger room.

In my case, sub will be in a 12x12x8 room open on one end (aprox floorplan is here )-- I was thinking the Emotiva 10" would work well, since the room is fairly small, but the KEF sub above was highly recommended by a couple of posters on Slickdeals, even over and above the Hsu STF-2.

There are a lot of competing and well-regarded subs at this price point, which explains why so many people are confused. I'm tempted to just go with the Emotiva and call it a day, but the Lava sale, with 2 10" for under $350, seems like a workable option as well. Any guidance is greatly appreciated, as this has been the toughest part of my new system to decide on.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A11 /forum/post/19598543

I'm not looking for perfection, just the best sub I can get for under $400. I won't be using it exclusively for this room, I may use it in smaller rooms as well (8x9x8). I prefer accurate sound reproduction (hi fi) over loud and boomy.

8x9 is crazy small -- you are just going to be compromising if you pick a sub to fit both rooms. Are going to be carrying your sub around your house from small to larger rooms? I think it would be a better idea to buy a sub for each room that fits that room's specific needs. I.E., ported to fill your larger room with your smaller budget, and then maybe a sealed sub for your smaller room. If you don't have the budget for it, then just save up. Better to get something that actually will perform to expectations then to regret the decision later and have to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe /forum/post/19598819

8x9 is crazy small, like a jail cell. Why would you want to spend any time listening to music/movies in a room that size?

I wouldn't, it's just the smallest room that I could use it in. My house has an odd layout, none of the rooms are square or closed off.

I'll make a rough floor design of what I'm talking about.

I'll try to explain how I plan on using it too (working on image in photoshop now).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe /forum/post/19598893

Maybe DIY is the best solution to create something affordable at the performance level you are looking for?

I've considered it, but I don't have any experience building my own. I'm already working on a diy project using Bose parts I bought for $10 at a garage sale for practice. It's a bass module and one cube speaker (3 woofers and 2 teeters).

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A11 /forum/post/19598929

http://img401.imageshack.us/i/21765364.jpg/ Not to scale, just to give an idea of the layout.

Intended use for family room and living room. can only buy 1 sub at the moment.

Wow! Looking at the image of your room layout, I think you may have your work cut out for you. And that the budget you are working with is not going to be enough to fill out the area it will be going into. The problem you have, is even though your living room is 10x19, you need to take into consideration all the openness that extends from the family room into the rest of the house. Can you close off the family room from the rest of the house? Is there a door that you can shut to close off the family room? Is there a solid wall blocking off the kitchen area from the family room? Or is it a half wall? The noise from the sub will bleed out off into other areas of your home, thus minimizing its impact. I didn't explain that well probably but hopefully you get my point. If your family room can be closed off, then it is truly 10x19 as you stated, but if it's not then it is bigger than you are stating. If the family room can be closed off than that's good, you don't need to worry so much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The family room is 10x19 and can be closed off, it's where I intend to use the sub. The door for the family room is thin, but most of the wall by the door is very thick. The living room and kitchen are almost one large room, a wall from the hallway extends out to about half the length of the kitchen, the opening between the living room and kitchen is 7.5 feet.

I'll make more accurate measurements if needed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts