AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently picked up a Samsung HL-S5687 and now am looking for a new DVD player to do justice to my new display. However, I am having trouble finding and deciding on one:

1) DivX

The more compatible the player is with divx, the better. After getting used to watching stuff on burned discs, I don't think I can live without it.

2) Image Quality

What's the general consensus on upconverting players? I picked up an LG DN191H

just to hold me over until I decide on a proper player. To my eye, 720p upconverting looks better than its 480p non-upconverted setting. My DLP has a Faroudja scaler...so why does the 720p on the LG look better to me than 480p? Should I be looking for an upconverting player, or is it placebo effect?

So far here is my short list of players I am considering:

Samsung DVD-HD860 - primarily for aesthetics; it matches my TV...does it do divx? how's the image quality?

Panasonic DVD-S52S - seems to be highly regarded on avsforum; how's the divx implementation/image quality?

Oppo OPDV971H - around here, at least, oppo seems to have the best reputation of PQ...but does it do divx?

Sony DVP-NS75H - haven't researched this one yet

If you could provide any input on selecting the best player that fits my needs, I'd really appreciate it. Again, I really want to have divx and the best picture quality possible to send out to my 1080p DLP...and, of course, the cheaper the better!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
588 Posts
The US version of the Panasonic apparently does not do DivX. Possibly you can flash it to the European version. You should check the Sony too w/r to DivX.

The Samsung 860 is somewhat problematic w/r to video - my brother-in-law has one, it wouldn't show an .avi I'd burned onto a CD in the directory (the Philips plays it fine). - DR

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploo /forum/post/0

Oppo OPDV971H - around here, at least, oppo seems to have the best reputation of PQ...but does it do divx?

All the Oppos do divx, but not the HD file formats.

The 970 is often recommended for DLP owners because it reduces the chance of macroblock enchancement.

-Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.