AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking about buying an AV receiver to spruce up the sound when watching BluRays from my PS3. My Toshiba 47inch LCD TV is only 1080iBUTthat's OKWe all LOVE what we see!!!!!!!! Rather than rushing out to upgrade to 1080p we would rather spend some money on SOUND with an AV receiver being our next purchase.

It seems HDMI 1.3a is getting a lot of exposureTo put things into perspective as to weather I should worry about hdmi1.3 Vs 1.3a or even if I should consider it like thatI don't think my 1080i screen would use it.??? Also The PS3 is only HDMI1.3is it not????? I got some really good HDMI monster cables 800series from the states, but honestly if my (very Expensive -at the time 47inch screen) can only do 1080ithen could I consider going for a less expensive AV receivers???????? Truth be toldI don't have much cash as it is 

The Video Upscaling/processing tech in the actual AV recivers?

Now I know many would think since I only have a 1080i screenwhy even worry? Well we are still getting over how AWSOME 1080 looks regardless of i or p & are concerned that some earlier AV recivers may impact on picture quality and playback. Although nothing to do with receivers, we returned a well known brand of bluray simply because it needed firmware to work properly and even then is was jumpy and looked like nothing when we saw what the PS3 could do. Anywaysgetting off track,,,that was pretty much early on when some thought HD DVD was gong to win. What I am trying to say, or ask

Considering that we only have a 1080i screen & a PS3 for BluRay viewingShould we be concerned if not buying the latest and greatest receivers that do not have Reon HQV Scaler tech in them and so on & so forth, when contemplating Video derogation through an Av Receiver?????? Is there such a thingVideo & playback Degradation through using AV receivers with outdated processing chips????

I have no ideabut once the guy at the local High End Hi-Fi shop told me that anything less than HDMI 1.3 played off the PS3 would not be in True Surround Dolby DigitalI've simply given up trusting anyone when it comes to buying these things anymore???????????

Forgive me if I don't make senseI know nothing which is why I am asking for helpFor the gear I have, can I buy an AV unti without the fancy Reon HQV Scaler tech without suffering any picture loss from my PS3 and 1080i screen as well as forget the hype of HDMI 1.3a in reference to what were using anyways.

Any help would be greatI know I'm confused!!!

If I had money I'd go for the Onkyo TX-NR905But I don'tI'd rather get buy with less, it's just that when you hear words like inferior picture qualityI cringe!.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14265855

There's no such thing as 1080i LCD panel.

I second that.

As for the rest of this post....wow dude. Get your thoughts in order before posting them. HDMI 1.3 gives you the ability for Deep Color and bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. It really doesn't do much for picture quality, but audio quality it is a big deal.

You need to give us an idea of price range before we can give you good recommendations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW,

Sorry I am not up to speed. I am actually sorry I came in here to ask for help. Forgive my Dislexia and Espergias disorders I suffer from. It actually took me a bit of time to try and put that post togeather.

Thanks anyways...with an atitude like that, I'll look for help elsewhere.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekyn /forum/post/14265837

Hi,

I am thinking about buying an AV receiver to spruce up the sound when watching BluRays from my PS3.

Short answer: don't worry about HDMI 1.3 or video processing, you will not need those with PS3 and HD content. Get a receiver with good quality amplifiers that is able to take in multichannel PCM audio and pass through video. Even HDMI 1.0 should be enough, just make sure that the receiver can actually take the multichannel PCM and not just pass everything to display (there are some receivers that only do HDMI switching).

Quote:
My Toshiba 47inch LCD TV is only 1080i

There's two different things: your TV's native resolution (basically the amount of pixels on the panel) and resolutions it accepts as input.

I'm not sure if there are any LCD panels that aren't progressive. I would guess your TV's native resolution might be lower ( WXGA ?), but it is able to take 1080i signal and deinterlace+downscale that.

If you post your TV's model or check the manual for native resolution, you might get some advice on how to get best possible picture quality.

Quote:
I got some really good HDMI monster cables 800series from the states

Don't worry about HDMI cable quality too much. Digital signal is pretty resilient to noise. If there's no transmission errors, you won't gain anything (except nicer looking cables?) by going for the expensive ones.

I have a 10m (~30ft?) cable that has no problems with 1080p60 signal. It cost less than $50 (even taking into account the ridiculous euro/usd situation).. Not a single glitch yet.

Quote:
Considering that we only have a 1080i screen & a PS3 for BluRay viewingShould we be concerned if not buying the latest and greatest receivers that do not have Reon HQV Scaler tech in them and so on & so forth, when contemplating Video derogation through an Av Receiver?????? Is there such a thingVideo & playback Degradation through using AV receivers with outdated processing chips????

There's two things to consider: deinterlacing and scaling. Deinterlacing is the more difficult part.

I would check the native resolution of your TV. If it is 1920x1080, you will need to use 1080i input signal and trust the TV to do correct deinterlacing. You won't gain anything with an external video processor (like Reon) for HD sources - the player can output 1080i and your receiver should just pass it through as it is.

If your TV's native resolution is lower (for example 1280x768) and it can accept 720p, that might give you better results. For HD sources, your player can do the downscaling. A video processor might help with SD sources - like a cable/sat receiver (but your PS3 should do a good job on its own for regular DVDs).

Quote:
I have no ideabut once the guy at the local High End Hi-Fi shop told me that anything less than HDMI 1.3 played off the PS3 would not be in True Surround Dolby Digital

You would need HDMI 1.3 for passing the original compressed Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio bitstream to your receiver - but the PS3 can not do that.

I think with the recent firmware updates PS3 can decode these to multichannel PCM and pass that to receiver. The results should be bit-for-bit identical to decoding in the receiver. You won't light up the logos in your receiver, but you should get exactly the same sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKYOU!!!!!!
Mabe there is hope for this forum yet...That is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.

I did as you said and my TV Manual reads:

TOSHIBA 47WLT66A...Only thing I can find on pixels reads as:

The only thing I can find on "i" is under the heading:

COMPONENT VIDEO INPUT termanals (the signal format)

480i,480p,576i,576p,720p (50/60Hz). 1080i (50/60 Hz)

(These signal formats are converted to match the number of pixels of the LCD panel)

Number Of Pixels:

1,920 (H) dots X 1,080 (V) dots.

I am glad to hear that I don't have to worry about the video signal as it passes through the reciever...I was just getting the impression that recivers that don't have Reon tech were open to such critisisim...thanks for clearing that up in my mind

About the PS3...I thought it was 1.3HDMI and all I needed was to get an amp that was 1.3HDMI....or do you mean even though the PS3 is 1.3hdmi that even with a 1.3hdmi amp that the PS3 is still incabable of "passing the original compressed Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio bitstream to your receiver"............................that sounds bad...but if like you say, a firmware update may fix that...produceing identical sound but with out the logo flashing on my amp,,,well I guess that's not so bad. Eventually I see myself getting another bluray as time rolls on.

ITS ALL COOL....I just found two sites that explain it really well...Looks like there is hope after all

http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/hddvd/...9288166,00.htm
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/10/ps...olution-audio/

Once again....THANKS for the answer...I still don't understand all of what your saying...but HELL...I know more than I did before. I feel a lot better about spending arond $1300 Au (Australian) than $3500Au. (ofcourse I will be buying oversees) Australian retail stores are masively overpriced!!!!!!

May you Live & Prosper

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekyn /forum/post/14266517

I did as you said and my TV Manual reads:

TOSHIBA 47WLT66A...

A quick google search shows that others have wondered about the same thing. The panel is 1920x1080, but it only accepts 1080i input.

With film material, you might not be missing anything. It is possible to do reverse pulldown without any quality loss - not sure if your set does that, though. Many (like my Panasonic plasma) only do video mode deinterlacing, which leads to loss of vertical resolution in motion and line judder for small details.

Check the wikipedia for more information if you're interested. The basic idea is that film is 24 frames per second. There is a process called 3:2 pulldown , which duplicates frames and weaves them into an interlaced 60Hz signal. This is what your TV accepts. All the original information is in that signal, it is just a question of your TV's video processors ability to do reverse pulldown.

Quote:
About the PS3...I thought it was 1.3HDMI and all I needed was to get an amp that was 1.3HDMI....or do you mean even though the PS3 is 1.3hdmi that even with a 1.3hdmi amp that the PS3 is still incabable of "passing the original compressed Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio bitstream to your receiver"............................

I'm a bit hesitant to write in detail about PS3, as I don't have one. My understanding (from following many discussions..) is that the PS3 HDMI chip is just not capable of bitstreaming these formats. Forum search will give you more details, if you're interested.

Quote:
Once again....THANKS for the answer...I still don't understand all of what your saying...but HELL...I know more than I did before.

You're welcome. Keep asking and keep reading, you'll figure it out if you're interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts