AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, new to this site. I've started looking at getting a HTiB and had a few questions. First, my television is a 1080p Panasonic TC-50G10 plasma, my Blu-Ray is a Panasonic DMP-BD60K, and I have Dish Network's TurboHD package, with the VIP722k HD/DVR box. I started looking at systems in the $300-$600 range. I don't really want a sound bar system, and already have the Blu-ray, so not looking for an integrated system, especially since it seems many of those systems in my price range are Blu-rays with speakers attached, and not real receivers.

After looking at a few of the models, I came across the Onkyo HT-S5200 7.1 system and it looked pretty good to me, other than that the HDMI is pass-through only. I also looked at the S6200, which will run directly from the HDMI and also has onboard decoding for DTS HD Master and Dolby TrueHD. My room isn't all that big and, of course, weirdly shaped, so I can't pull my sofa away from the wall to really utilize the Surround Back speakers. I'd probably only end up running it 5.1, although the 6200 can run the other speakers as Front Highs (which, from what I've read, is fairly useless).

My Blu-Ray has decoding for the HD Master and True HD. Will I lose anything by decoding it on the player and running it to the receiver? Since the 5200's HDMI is only pass-through I'd have to run it via optical. Will I lose something going that way? Similarly, would it make a difference if I just ran HDMI from the Blu-ray and DVR, through the 5200, to the TV and then optical out from the TV to the receiver?

I guess, in the end, my question is "Is it really necessary to spend the extra $200 to jump from the S5200 to the S6200?" I worked retail, selling electronics for 4 years, but that was 3 years ago, and I wouldn't really consider myself anything close to an expert, obviously, more that I know just enough to get me into trouble. I just want to make sure I make the right decision and don't kick myself later, or spend money needlessly that could go toward buying discs and such, and I know the guys at the stores are generally morons. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb2000 /forum/post/18163535

My Blu-Ray has decoding for the HD Master and True HD. Will I lose anything by decoding it on the player and running it to the receiver? Since the 5200's HDMI is only pass-through I'd have to run it via optical. Will I lose something going that way?

Yes, optical doesn't handle the hi-rez audio codecs, even if the player decodes it. You'll be limited to Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1.

Quote:
Similarly, would it make a difference if I just ran HDMI from the Blu-ray and DVR, through the 5200, to the TV and then optical out from the TV to the receiver?

That could be even worse. TVs tend to downrez audio to stereo in this arrangement (the optical out only does 5.1 from the internal tuner.)

If you can swing the HDMI audio capable 6200, why not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if the S5200 wouldn't be a good option, is there something recommended on par with the S6200? I saw some other posts recommending the Denon system. I sort of like the iPod capability of the Onkyo, since I do have an iPod, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. And for me, a 5.1 would be just as well as the 7.1, since I have no room for the backs. So the question then becomes, what's best for about $600, give or take? The upconversion that some receivers offer doesn't much matter to me, since I have everything HDMI anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts