AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've been doing research upon research and I figured I would get the best answers here. I've searched on here like crazy but still could use advice...What I currently have is a Denon AVR that's a few years old powering a 5 channel polk sound bar which needs to go. I have a ProSub 1000 that I'm keeping for my new setup. My living room is roughly 15X12 but is pretty much an open floor plan to the kitchen and dining room. I'm looking for a solid 3.1 setup for movies mostly, but I do like my music to sound good too.

Now on to the speakers. I'm ready to buy like yesterday, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've narrowed my choices down to StudioMonitors and ProMonitors for my left/right. At first I was looking at the SM55 but after seeing them in person, they may be too big, but I will still consider them. Its mostly between the SM45 and ProMonitor 1000. For the center, I've narrowed it down to the CS-8040HD or the ProCenter 1000. I've listened to all the setups but am still having a tough time making a decision already. I honestly felt like I didn't hear that much of a difference between the two centers, which I found very interesting considering the price difference between the 2. Then I've been thinking that the ProMonitors must be somewhat better than the SM45 if they're a little more expensive. So then I'm also thinking if I did a setup like the 8040 and either pair of the studiomonitors, that maybe I won't be using them to their potential in a small room like that. The money isn't an issue, but I also don't want to waste it.

I'm probably making this in to a bigger deal than it needs to be, but I'm sure any of these setups would sound different in my living room than in these demo rooms in the store. I reached out to Def Tech and their rep suggested I reconsider the SM55 and go with the ProCenter 1000, again I found that interesting.

So for all you Def Tech owners out there who have experience with these speakers, please help me out! Thank you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love my Promonitor 1000's paired up with a Procenter 1000, but I use a supercube 2000. Keep in mind that you can easily buy speaker stands made for the 1000's but not the SM45.I love this set up but I am actually trying to sell it right now. Floor standing speakers really changed my mind and enjoy the sound a lot more. If you can you should look in to floor standing speakers if you have the space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I would look for floor standing speakers if I had more room for them, but unfortunately I don't. My TV and stand are a corner setup which is tight enough to begin with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts