AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope my MS Paint drawing isn't too lame. But that's my living room. It's not very big at all, so I was considering 42" and less. I have a 36" JVC monster CRT (weighs like 250lbs.) and would like to mount my new panel to the wall and get that behemoth out of there. Darkening the room isn't a problem, two windows can be shaded quite easily. What I am mostly concerend about is connectivity and use as a PC monitor. I have a Phillips DVP642 DVD player and burn my divx files to DVDR, I really want to use a HTPC instead, to save on discs. It has to look really good as a PC monitor. From the drawing I will be sitting back about 8' give or take a few inches. HDTV will come later. Kicking around Dish Network with the VOOM package for HDTV programming, no OTA in my area. I do have many HDTV movies on my PC, like the new Windows Media HD. Would love to watch those in HD. BTW, I've never seen HDTV content. I haven't been to the stores and browsed the displays. Work and family keep me quite busy, and besides I trust you guys and gals. If you say it looks good as a PC monitor with XXX type cable/Video Card I'm sure I would agree. My budget is upto $3K including shipping and a wall mount. Might consider an extended warranty depending on company offering and price/year. Would really like to stay under $2500 but doubt that's possible for the options I want. But I do have some high end Belkin DVI cables laying around, never opened, so DVI is a must b/c I have no equip that has HDMI.

I've read here that some users have 50/55" plasma as a PC monitor/ and some have 32/37" Syntax/Westy LCD's. Some users have ATI Radeon/AIW's and some have nVidia 6600 or higher. It seems to be a divided bunch. Can we get a poll going or what? I'd like to see how many users have a PC connected and the details of that setup. I'm looking for a kick butt PC monitor that can still display HDTV and work like a everyday TV as well.

·
Registered
767 Posts
More info would help us. Do you need a tuner ? Speakers ? If not Pany 7UY or new 8UK would be good for a dark room, great blacks. For a lighted one i'd go with a Pioneer the have punchier colours in lighted rooms.

By the way that's a mighty big " kithen " you have... lol just a joke on a typo u made...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"kithen" oops.

I currently don't have cable or sat. I watch movies, that's all. I can't even get local chans w/ rabbit ears. I watch a lot of dvd obviously. So a tuner is not a necessity, and a built-in tuner wouldnt help me if I decide to go with dish network w/ voom. I would need a seperate box for that. And the room can go black cause I have shutters. Better than boarding up when a hurricane creeps up the gulf. I live in south MS btw. A built in speaker is also not necessary, I have a seperate sound system for that. Detachable would be better b/c I would like just the panel on the wall. A plasma Panny..hmmm. Cheaper yes, but does it display a PC source like it should be? I've never looked at a PC monitor larger than a 21" CRT/LCD at work so I am expecting the new display to be very similar, hopefully exact.

Would a 37" panel be 'just right' for my living room, or can I go upto a 42" and be fine with the average PQ on various sources.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EDTV Plasma, good prices, large screens. Since I don't have any HD content coming into my home, and can't receive OTA HD, looks like a PC monitor and DVD's is all I need to be able to handle, for now. I would like to check out the WMV9 HD content I have on my PC, will that look like SDTV, or just a bit shy of true HD? How well does the EDTV Plasma displays handle PC sources? I ask because most divx files aren't standard, and will result in black borders all around, which means burn-in worries. But more than that, since I can't take my PC to the store and play my divx files on the display I choose, I need some recommendations for a new panel to display PC sources quite well.

I'm still not sure of the sizescreen I need? 37" or bigger?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.