AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a 42" Pioneer plasma 1080i. I've had it for about 6 years and I'm generally happy with it. The only complaint is that is has an audible buzz. Not enough to notice most of the time. I feel I need something bigger and hopefully with a better picture considering the technology has progressed.

I'm viewing from about 15' straight on and I also have a couch (side angle) that is about 8' away.

I'm not sure what the 'right' size is but I was thinking about 55-58".

I'm mostly watching HD sports and shows.

The room is pretty well lit in the day from a window but I've never had glare or brightness issues with the plasma.

I could really use some help. I've been lurking a bunch but every time I think I've got enough info to pick a technology or brand I see another post that scares me away from it.

Plasma, LCD/LED?

55-58" ?

Manufacturer?

Would really appreciate any help. I'm looking to spend near 2000 but would stretch up to almost 3000 if necessary

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you want to stick with Plasma, you can find a Samsung 58 inch in the lower end of your price range (pn58c7000 or pn58c8000). The biggest difference between the 7000 and the 8000 is the 8000 has a better anti glare filter that's over kill for most people unless you are in an extremely bright area. Other than that, the 7000 can be switched to an 8000 through the service menu.

The other TV you should look at is the Panasonic TC-P58VT25, but that will be in the higher end of your range.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Better initial black levels, but Panasonic black levels will rise over a year or two to match or exceed the black levels of the Samsung's you're looking at. Panasonic also has floating blacks where the black levels are adjusted for brighter and darker scenes. This "feature" can't be turned off and is supposedly noticeable because the black levels don't change at the beginning of the scene (it takes a few seconds). It's basically yet another cheap way to get deeper black levels.

Another advantage Samsung has is better upscaling for lower definition sources, and supposedly it shows less noise in the background.

The image quality on these TVs from both companies is excellent, though I'm not sure if black levels will reach what you had in the Pioneer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts