AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a sub in a couple of months and would like any and all suggestions on what to get.

It will be 90% for movies and 10% for music.

Here's my current setup:

Fronts = Polk Audio RTi6 - bookshelf
Center = Polk Audio CSi5
Surrounds = Polk Audio FXi30
Surround backs = Fluance AVBP2
Sub = Polk Audio PSW404

I've also attached a few pics showing the room. This is also a single family house so I'm not concerned about neighbors. The ceiling is also vaulted.

My budget is from 800-1200.

I'm also wondering if it will make a big difference to move my rti6's to front height and get Polk RTi 12's for fronts (in addition to the new sub). Note, if I do this will my x4000 be enough to drive the RTi 12's?

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a sub in a couple of months and would like any and all suggestions on what to get.

Here's my current setup:

Center = Polk Audio CSi5
Sub = Polk Audio PSW404

I've also attached a few pics showing the room. This is also a single family house so I'm not concerned about neighbors. The ceiling is also vaulted.

I'm also wondering if it will make a big difference to move my rti6's to front height and get Polk RTi 12's for fronts (in addition to the new sub). Note, if I do this will my x4000 be enough to drive the RTi 12's?

Thanks so much!!
Welcome to the forum :)

just so we know how large is your room? So HxWxD and do you have any large openings to your room?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Here's my current setup:

Center = Polk Audio CSi5
Sub = Polk Audio PSW404

Thanks so much!!
Welcome to the forum

just so we know how large is your room? So HxWxD and do you have any large openings to your room?
It's about 22x30x10 with a large opening as you can see via the pics but there's 2 walls that you can see in the pics. 1 that doesn't reach the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
13,370 Posts
consequential said:
I'm looking to purchase a sub ... It will be 90% for movies and 10% for music.
. . .
I've also attached a few pics showing the room. [It's about 22x30x10] ...

Get an HSU VTF-15H MK2 ($899 + $109 shipping).

Then save up for a second one. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

Would these suggestions be far better than anything from SVS?

Also, what are your thoughts on the RTi12 question?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have no input on a sub for you, but that X4000 should be good enough to power some RTi12's. They have a fairly high sensitivity rating and modest power requirements considering their size.
I think switching to floorstanders in a room that size is a good idea.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
There are a lot of good subs out there. Hsu, Rythmik, SVS and PSA as well as Outlaw and have good subwoofers. You have a large room to pressurize so I would be looking at doing what Eljay suggested. Get one sub now and a save up for a 2nd one.

As far as getting the RTi12's I would say if you're going to be getting a good subwoofer then there is no need to get Floor standing speakers. You will most likely crossover somewhere between 80 to 100 Hz thus letting your subwoofer take the burden of the lower frequencies. The Rti-6 are rated down to 40 Hz, it's doubtful they would actually play well down to that frequency but they can do fine down to 60 to 70 HZ. If you are crossed over at 80 Hz (which most people do) why would need the Rti12's? The big advantage in getting the floor standers is their ability to dig deeper which isn't necessary if you have a good subwoofer.

Save the money on the speakers and put it into subwoofers.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There are a lot of good subs out there. Hsu, Rythmik, SVS and PSA as well as Outlaw and have good subwoofers. You have a large room to pressurize so I would be looking at doing what Eljay suggested. Get one sub now and a save up for a 2nd one.

As far as getting the RTi12's I would say if you're going to be getting a good subwoofer then there is no need to get Floor standing speakers. You will most likely crossover somewhere between 80 to 100 Hz thus letting your subwoofer take the burden of the lower frequencies. The Rti-6 are rated down to 40 Hz, it's doubtful they would actually play well down to that frequency but they can do fine down to 60 to 70 HZ. If you are crossed over at 80 Hz (which most people do) why would need the Rti12's? The big advantage in getting the floor standers is their ability to dig deeper which isn't necessary if you have a good subwoofer.

Save the money on the speakers and put it into subwoofers.
I went with floorstanders because I simply like the look more than small speakers sitting on stands. They're just more substantial. They say.... I mean business.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I know I often times listen to 2 channel music with no subwoofer. It's nice to have 3 way tower speakers that can deliver enough bass to be enjoyable without relying on a subwoofer all the time. :) Bookshelf speakers also require stands or something to sit them on.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yup..I simply prefer Towers having had both in home to compare. The dedicated mid-range within a true 3 way design makes all the difference to ME...with or without the sub....Sure others will disagree YMMV....but if I were making a decision, I'd put the added money into the bigger better single sub and work outwardly from there.

Reactions: Hopinater

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
As far as getting the RTi12's I would say if you're going to be getting a good subwoofer then there is no need to get Floor standing speakers.
Even crossed at 80 or 100hz the towers will play louder and have more upper bass due to more cone area compared to most 2 way bookshelf speakers.

Reactions: John Sully

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I like towers simply for the fact that I don't need to buy stands. I prefer towers that are more like a beefed up bookshelf (like the Chane A3rx-c), because any bass drivers are wasted money with a subwoofer in the room.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Even crossed at 80 or 100hz the towers will play louder and have more upper bass due to more cone area compared to most 2 way bookshelf speakers.
I agree with your thinking but since he already has the bookshelves and didn't say he was unhappy with them I still think the money would be better spent on a better subwoofer. Let's be honest, in a room that size he will need a sub that has a good bit of power. Better yet, two would most likely serve him even better still. Why rob money from the sub budget for speakers that won't deliver nearly the bang for the buck that a better sub will.

Regarding some of the other thoughts listed above I would agree with the way a lot of you guys are thinking if the circumstances were a little different. Regarding aesthetics: I agree. Personally I like the looks of towers better than bookshelves and have Polk RTi-a7s up front so I get it. But is he looking for speakers that look good or is he looking for the best HT system he can put together in his budget? He has a big space to pressurize so I'm thinking put the money into the sub now and buy for looks later. Function over form IMO.

Regarding music, he said he plays music 10% of the time and movies 90% of the time. If he said the opposite I would have said get the towers and don't worry about the sub. But absolutely, if a person listens to two channel a lot then a nice set of good floor standers is a must have IMO.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all,

I can't thank you enough for the input.

My thinking was to purchase a 800-1200 sub and also get the rti12's. I do like my theater how it is now but I love watching movies and if I can get a night and day difference im all for it.

I just have to wait til June for the money.

So I did some more research and it looks like I'd need an amp to power the 12's. I'd be looking at a min of 800 (speakers) + 350 (cheaper amp). That's a lot.

I just keep thinking I'm missing out with the rti6's. They supposedly go down to 50 and the 12's go down to 30hz. But I just don't know.

also, would 2 subs be a night and day difference vs 1 (all being good ones )

Thanks

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I'd either take the money you're planning on spending on those towers and get higher end bookshelves, or get the bookshelves in the same line and get put the saved money into your sub. My thinking is that you just aren't going to be using the full capabilities of those towers with a sub handling everything from 80Hz and down.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd either take the money you're planning on spending on those towers and get higher end bookshelves, or get the bookshelves in the same line and get put the saved money into your sub. My thinking is that you just aren't going to be using the full capabilities of those towers with a sub handling everything from 80Hz and down.
These are the highest end bookshelves that Polk makes (from last gen), the newer line isn't much better I don't think.

I can't really get a better set of bookshelves from another company as they won't be voice matched.

:(

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
I would get the RTI-8's. Dual 6.5" drivers for superb mid bass...will not need a amp to power them. Also there is no reason to think you will miss out between a speaker that is rated down to 60hz opposed to 30hz If you plan on running a 1000.00 sub. There is absolutely no reason to have main speakers playing anything below 60hz in that case. Now if you plan on any 2 ch listening without a sub then look at the RTI-10 or A7. Still plays pretty loud with AVR power and will dig down to 28-30hz and are easier to drive then the 12's. They only give up 1-2db tops in peak output. My A7's will hit 108-110db playing off of my Yamaha 773 16ft away. I added a Adcom GFA-555II and gained about 3db more headroom. Did not really need the added headroom, it was more so to take the load off the Yamaha so it has no troubles driving the FXI-A6 and CSI-A4 speakers at higher playback levels cleanly.

That being said the HSU 15.2 would be a great sub in your budget as others pointed out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would get the RTI-8's. Dual 6.5" drivers for superb mid bass...will not need a amp to power them. Also there is no reason to think you will miss out between a speaker that is rated down to 60hz opposed to 30hz If you plan on running a 1000.00 sub. There is absolutely no reason to have main speakers playing anything below 60hz in that case. Now if you plan on any 2 ch listening without a sub then look at the RTI-10 or A7. Still plays pretty loud with AVR power and will dig down to 28-30hz and are easier to drive then the 12's. They only give up 1-2db tops in peak output. My A7's will hit 108-110db playing off of my Yamaha 773 16ft away. I added a Adcom GFA-555II and gained about 3db more headroom. Did not really need the added headroom, it was more so to take the load off the Yamaha so it has no troubles driving the FXI-A6 and CSI-A4 speakers at higher playback levels cleanly.

That being said the HSU 15.2 would be a great sub in your budget as others pointed out.
I saw the RTI-8's are available for a great price. Would these be a night and day difference over the RTI-6's?

Also, can anyone recommend a good but very low cost AMP that could power the RTI12's just in case I want to go with them or even power my csi5 and 8's if I get the 8's? Or even if I get RTI10's instead of 12's...

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts