AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought my Samsung HDTV (32') and I want to buy a home theater to go with it, all of these for my small bedroom.

I'm on a limited budget and I can't go over $400. (500 would be a sacrifice)

So here are my options

Panasonic SC-PT760 Deluxe 5 DVD Home Theater System

Panasonic SC-PT960 Deluxe 5 DVD Home Theater System

and my last option (it would be a sacrifice because of the price)

Sony DAV-HDX500/i BRAVIA Home Theater System

and here are some suggestions form avsforum members:

Onkyo HT S5100 - home theater system - 7.1 channel

Onkyo HT-SR700

any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Personally I'm an Onkyo fan, and would look mainly at the 2 systems you have listed from them. I would also recommend against a system with an integrated AV Receiver/DVD player. You usually have really limited connectivity with them. Going with separate components means you can get all the connectivity you need, and also that you don't have to settle for a so-so receiver or DVD player just because it's built into the system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The S5100 is probably just right for a small set up with just a couple HD inputs, but I've never heard it, so someone else would have to help with sound quality. Make sure you have room for the speakers, they look big...at least for my bedroom.

What are you going to be using with it? An upscaling DVD player, game systems, PC, etc?

It really does look like a nice budget rig. You can find a refurb S5100 w/1 yr warranty on a famous auction site for $350 shipped (after 20% MS cash back) from an authorized refurb dealer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok after full research these are my options. [p]

1- Sony Component Home Theater System HT-7200DH [p]
PROS: great sound( it's an actual receiver) , 3 HDMI's input. comes with a dvd player, supports HDMI video and audio. It is NOT just a passthroughCONS: speaker stands not included + the system is no looker (doesn't match my tv). [p]

2- Samsung HT-AS720ST PROS: definitely matches my tv, 2 HDMI inputs, great sound (a receiver) CONS: speaker stands not included + no dvd. 1 less HDMI than the sony 7200. HDMI doesn't pass audio, no component inputs. [p]

3- Sony Bravia DAV-HDX576WF PROS: It looks amazing, perfect match for my setup, 5 dvd changer, 2 wireless speakers, I pod dock. CONS: NOT AN ACTUAL RECEIVER. lacks HDMI inputs, less sound options that the other 2. Basically I just one this one because it looks so sexy and would match perfectly with my tv and later on ps3. [p]

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Onkyo S5100 is a great system, had everything I was looking for. Only downside is that it does not play audio through hdmi which was one of the main reasons I got it, instead of being a baby about it, I hooked it up through optical with my ps3. The sound is amazing for a normal sized game room, I really can't turn it up to max because it really gets too loud.

·
Registered
139 Posts
These are the exact models I am looking at....great info.

I'm looking for a receiver that is around $400-500, but it MUST have audio and video pass through so I can run my cable box through it.

Is that too much to ask for? Should I be running 2 separate HDMI cables to the back of my tv instead?

·
Registered
28,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipchecker /forum/post/15099692

These are the exact models I am looking at....great info.

I'm looking for a receiver that is around $400-500, but it MUST have audio and video pass through so I can run my cable box through it.

Is that too much to ask for? Should I be running 2 separate HDMI cables to the back of my tv instead?

Receiver only or a whole system? A receiver with those features is a piece of cake. Onkyo 606, Yamaha 663, Pioneer VSX-1018 are all under $450. The Onkyo and Yamaha can usually be found for under $350.

A whole system will be a little more difficult. Actually, if you don't mind a refurb with 1 year warranty, you can get this Onkyo 7100 package for $479 shipped.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=0

That includes the 606 receiver, 7 speakers, subwoofer and two stands...and an Ipod dock.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15100982

Receiver only or a whole system? A receiver with those features is a piece of cake. Onkyo 606, Yamaha 663, Pioneer VSX-1018 are all under $450. The Onkyo and Yamaha can usually be found for under $350.

A whole system will be a little more difficult. Actually, if you don't mind a refurb with 1 year warranty, you can get this Onkyo 7100 package for $479 shipped.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=0

That includes the 606 receiver, 7 speakers, subwoofer and two stands...and an Ipod dock.

And it's even cheaper if you wait for a sale. I ordered one over the weekend for $430.10 shipped during their 10% off sale ($489-$48.90-$10).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts