AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a Media box. I have a Samba server setup that I will be streaming all my media from. I'm not very interested in apps and extras like netflix or facebook or internet streaming, anything along those lines. I have no interest in using it for anything but streaming from my samba server. It does not need to have wireless, i have a wireless bridge to use if necessary, but obviously does need at least a LAN port. 10/100 or gigabit, doesn't matter. eSata and USB connections are not a consideration. Will be connecting via hdmi to a 1080p TV. A torrent client would be somewhat useful, but really I am looking for the best Media streamer for just within a home network. Best UI, best playback, best responsiveness, support of chapters would be nice, etc. It will mostly be playing .avi and .mkv within scene specs. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I was looking for similar for the bedroom and ended up with a WD TV Live Plus. It works, but it's pretty basic and the UI isn't the best or fastest.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstag /forum/post/20828554

....but really I am looking for the best Media streamer for just within a home network. Best UI, best playback, best responsiveness, support of chapters would be nice, etc. It will mostly be playing .avi and .mkv within scene specs. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Dune D1 if your budget allows.

It plays pretty much every video format with audio downmix for most audio formats and has the widest HDMI/Component output mode support of any media player currently available.

Look at the posts on this forum.... most are extremely happy with their Dune players.

MKV chapters are non-standard so AFAIK not supported by Dune.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/20829005

Dune D1 if your budget allows.

It plays pretty much every video format with audio downmix for most audio formats and has the widest HDMI/Component output mode support of any media player currently available.

Look at the posts on this forum.... most are extremely happy with their Dune players.

MKV chapters are non-standard so AFAIK not supported by Dune.

Pretty sure Dune has supported MKV chapters for at least a couple firmware revisions now...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
+1 Dune Player... any one except for the lite.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I would go with a Boxee Box or one of the WDTV players. If you want to go the esoteric route the PCH-A210 is nice. The question of support and returns is important. You don't want to get involved with shipping overseas.

Philip

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Dune is a good recommendation, but I also suggest looking at TViX. I've used both, they have similar levels of capabilities/support for a networked player.

The most useful is support for NFS, which outperforms Samba. With TViX, you can download and run their Netshare program to run NFS. Both support 24Hz, and DVD menus. TViX does not offer BR menu, it just starts and plays the movie only with it's BD-Lite controls.

If you also want something that will record OTA TV, the M6620N is a good dual TV tuner option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts