AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm about to buy either the Sony KP-51WS500 or the Toshiba 50HDX82. I was told by the salesman that I should get the Monster Cable Power Center and that it would make a huge difference. My question is... Being that the TV I'm selecting isn't plasma or a real high end TV, is the Power Center overkill? Will I notice the difference, or should I go with one of the two lower end Monster Surge protecter with filters?

I've tried going throught he forums but have had no luck. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnydynamic
Hi, I'm about to buy either the Sony KP-51WS500 or the Toshiba 50HDX82. I was told by the salesman that I should get the Monster Cable Power Center and that it would make a huge difference. My question is... Being that the TV I'm selecting isn't plasma or a real high end TV, is the Power Center overkill? Will I notice the difference, or should I go with one of the two lower end Monster Surge protecter with filters?

I've tried going throught he forums but have had no luck. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!
Don't waste your money. An external surge protector is a good idea but a simple $20 unit from a home center is all the protection you need. As for filtering do you have a lot of noise on your power line. Most homes do not have enough to make a difference even on very high end displays.

Here is the truth. These dealers today have almost no margin left due to intense competition and internet sales. So they have to make money with extended warrenties and grossly overpriced add-on products like Monster Products.

Here is another thing that really bugs me about Monster power Conditioners. They are not UL listed. Why Not? Now some niche products are not either because they are made by samll companies. But as Monster has made themselves a household word, they have the finnancial resources to get the proper and REQUIRED in some states, saftey approvals. The fact that they have not done it on their power centers after a few years on the market makes me suspicious there is something wrong with the design and it's not a safe box.

Tell your dealer you will only buy electrical products for your home that are tested and listed by UL or ETL. Anything less has questionable electrical safety issues. I gaurantee you that TV and DVD player are UL listed. I he tells you Monster products are above any safety standards ask him why are they afraid to prove it!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnydynamic
Does anyone disagree with Glimmie?
Yes. Not me though. Put on your helmet. ;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Do NOT waste your money! It sickens me to hear sales people push such grossly over priced items on unsuspecting customers by making claims like "it will improve you image" etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For protection, a better bet would be to see if your insurance co. would allow you to add a rider to protect your equipment, obviating the need for a surge protector .

Except in rare cases the need for line, or power, conditioners is just so much marketing hype and gimmickry. Most modern day electronics have curcuitry built in that takes care of any problems. Ask any decent electronics engineer (my brother is one) :)

BTW, I hear that Monster is bringing to market a device that promises to convert lead into gold (for them).

·
23,073 Posts
I'm not a big Monster fan, but I do believe in surge protection and

power conditioners. I'm not going to bet $20000 that all my electronics

are protected adequately by things built into them for the very minor

cost for surge protection. I do know that Sony SAT-T60s

don't have the circuitry that AndyMon believes is in modern day

electronics. Also, go research some other threads and see what happens

when you use your home owners insurance to pay for a big ticket

electronic item that was damaged. You may change you mind on

how you are "protected".

To each their own. Some people like extended warranties also.

larry

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
I'm not a big Monster fan, but I do believe in surge protection and

power conditioners. I'm not going to bet $20000 that all my electronics

are protected adequately by things built into them for the very minor

cost for surge protection. I do know that Sony SAT-T60s

don't have the circuitry that AndyMon believes is in modern day

electronics. Also, go research some other threads and see what happens

when you use your home owners insurance to pay for a high ticket

electronic item that was damaged. You may change you mind on

how you are "protected".

larry
Well Poopy,

I'm not quite sure how you came up with attributing things to me that I never said but now I have to waste a few minutes putting the record straight. Thanks aot for not reading with comprehension ;)

I never claimed that adequate surge protection to, fer instance, protect you from lightning strikes, was built into modern electronics. I was referring to noise filtering and power smoothing circuitry which takes care of the majority of nise and undulating power problems that people might face without wasting hundreds of $$$ on useless gimmickry. Since it's outside of my realm of expertise I tend to believe people who I know and trust that fully understand the theory and practical applications of such over the opinions of those whose credentials I'm not familiar with and post things they've heard or "read on the box" (so it must be true).

I'm also familiar with the problems that some have had with their insurance claims. I was somewhat tongue in cheek suggesting insurance (thus the ""). It would be worthwhile investigating a rider SPECIFICALLY for your equipment which protected you against power surges and other problems that you envision (or don't) arising. As always, caveat emptor. Many of those people that had problems assumed that they would be protected. Shame on them for not reading their policies closely. Assume nothing.

Lastly, if you sustain a direct lightning (or even a good indirect) hit your little surge protector is not going to stop your $20,000 investment from looking like Baath headquarters in Baghdad so don't put too much faith in you minor investment in it. Sometimes you do get what you pay for :)

Now, all of that being said, I do have surge protection (only) on my stuff. Just make sure to watch your family joules!

·
23,073 Posts
AndyMon: I don't know what means, :) yes, no. :)

And secondly, yes I misread your second sentence, you were

not talking about surge protection. I stand corrected, my apologies.

I'm not going to infer anything from the rest of your reply, it doesn't

matter.

Funny thing about my "old" SAT-T60. It was surge protected until somebody

was in too much of a hurry to connect the second sat input when

the software upgrade came that enabled the second tuner. And then

forgot one thing...

larry

·
Registered
118 Posts
Larry (didn't see that at the bottom before),

= Grin. (very big grin)

Infer not cuz I mean no harm. I sometimes have a strange (?) way with words (interesting toys, they are). I just sometimes take umbrage at having those words mischaracterized. Oh, and "she who must be obeyed" was harping at me to get off the computer and do something useful so I was torn between setting the record straight and being smacked in the head with a rolling pin. Thus my seemingly caustic comments. My apologies for my insensitivity.

I hope it wasn't the entirety of "the rest of my post" that doesn't matter. :)

Cya

·
23,073 Posts
AndyMon: no problem on this end :) Life's too short to dwell on

simple misunderstandings or mistakes. I was more emabarrassed

that I misread your post than anything else.

A few more rusty knife slashes across my inner arm should make me remember to do better next time. Just kidding, of course! :D

larry

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just wonder how many people on this thread have actually done an A/B comparison in their house. If you have never tried a power conditioner, how can you claim they are junk? I agree that monster stuff is over priced and usually sold by idiots. That does not mean that their stuff does not work.

On the issue of power supplies in consumer electronics. I have talked to many people who work on consumer products and they all agree that most power supplies are barely adequate. A cheap transformer and capacitor will deliver an acceptable supply that will not destroy the downstream electronics. This same supply will not filter out spikes, etc very well. It is no accident that the first thing mid and high end manufactures upgrade is the power supply.

JMTC

John

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnmark
I just wonder how many people on this thread have actually done an A/B comparison in their house. If you have never tried a power conditioner, how can you claim they are junk? I agree that monster stuff is over priced and usually sold by idiots. That does not mean that their stuff does not work.

On the issue of power supplies in consumer electronics. I have talked to many people who work on consumer products and they all agree that most power supplies are barely adequate. A cheap transformer and capacitor will deliver an acceptable supply that will not destroy the downstream electronics. This same supply will not filter out spikes, etc very well. It is no accident that the first thing mid and high end manufactures upgrade is the power supply.

JMTC

John
You coments baout sparse power supplies on lower end consumer equipment are quite correct. But an external power conditioner is not going to fix this. If a power supply is under rated for it's load, applying "cleaner" power to it's imput won't increase the output capacity.

If you have severe spikes on your line, you really need to get that fixed at the source. Occasional spikes can be further suppressed by an external surge arrestor. But like I said, any UL listed home center or Wall Mart unit will do just fine. UL has a minumum certification for these devices. They either meet it or are not listed. It's just like generic asprin. There is an FDA minumum/maximum per tablet. How can brand name be any better?

Adding true regulation to your power can make some imrpovements. So can filtering. But these Monster units are all about hype. The claims they make have no scientific research or data behind them. Such data can be gathered but the results would not warrant the purchase of a $400 power center for a typical consumer set-up. And as I said they don't even have a mainstream consumer oriented product listed by a reconized safety organization - UL. It's strange nobody ever comes to theirt defense either as I have posted it before. Pretty hard to defend lack of saftey approvals on an otherwise touted perefct product!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I would think you could get a good UPS (of proper size) that would work as well or better than the Monster units for less $'s. The UPS solved a lot of computer issues here (like going through power supplies like water). FYI and only IMHO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the concensus here is that the $400 Monster unit is over priced. How about the $80-$150 units, are they worth the price?

I have my system running off a cheap power strip and have been meaning to get a good (more expensive) surge protecter, but now I'm not sure whether it's necessary...any comments?

This is more important, now, because I've just recently been having problems with my Denon 1602 AVR, sound only coming out of the left channels and no where else and nothing for the dvd player. Test tone doesn't work or anything. I'm now lead to believe that a fuse may have blown, and am going to take it in to be looked over. Could it have been "surged" and nothing else affected, Mits tv, dvd etc? Would a better surge protecter have made a difference, assuming that's the problem with my rcvr?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.