AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all --

I have recently moved into a home that has an existing multi room audio system installed, and I need help finding a suitable multi-zone amplifier.

The existing system is all Niles components -- there are three zones with a pair of speakers and a volume knob, and two other zones with speakers but no volume knob. There are no keypads. I believe the previous residents had a Niles ZR-6.

I am only interested in doing audio, video is not important. My main source will be an HTPC (a Mac mini), but having AM/FM and iPod integration might be nice. I also don't want to install any keypads -- I would prefer to control the zones and volume with some kind of wireless device.

Do any of the multi-zone amplifiers have digital audio inputs? I'd like to have a digital audio connection between the amp and the Mac mini.

Also, I have read that some of the amps have RS232 connections, I would love to be able to write some software so I can control the zones/volume with my phone

Any suggestions on where to start looking would be great. I've already had a misstep by thinking I could use a Niles 4630. I bought one off of eBay, hooked it up -- and imagine my surprise when I realized that it is just a 40lb brick when you don't have any keypads!

cheers,

shooz

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
That would hold true for the Niles ZR-6. if they had no keypads it was not the zr-6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is possible

Do any of the multi zone amps work without keypads? I would like a single RF remote to control the whole system.

thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed Niles support regarding the ZR6 and keypads issue and this was the reply:

> The ZR6 does not need keypads to operate.

> You can use an RF based remote and program it with the discrete IR

> commands for the ZR6, located on the Niles Tech Support page of our website.

> The included remote (R8-L) would not be used.

So maybe it was a ZR6?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think I had read somewhere before that the ZR-6 doesn't need keypads so that goes with what tech support told you.

It also has an rs-232 port so you could control it either way.

Russound and Nuvo may work as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts