AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about upgrading my current HDTV set to a larger model with better performance. My current set is a Sharp lc46d64u lcd that I got a few years ago and has served me well but have been thinking about going to a new set that is larger and performs better. Other than size my biggest complaint with the Sharp is how the screen washes out when viewing off center. I know this part of owning an LCD but I believe this model Sharp was a bit below other lcd sets. Size wise I would like a set 54-60" which I feel would be a nice upgrade from the current 46" size. One thing I'd like to note is the width of the set I'd like not to exceed 55-57".

My viewing habits consist of - Dish 722 1080i with HD whenever available, Sony bdp-cx960 for both blu-ray and dvd, and gaming with an Xbox 360 which when I find a game I like could be 5-15 hours a week. I use a denon 3803 for sound.

I have no major need for internet tv or 3d currently but if the a display with those features at the right price/performance is there I don't mind getting those featues.

The room I'm in get light during the morning/afternoon but at night is not super bright but would like to be able to see the TV on weekend afternoons without having to hide all outside light.

Hopefully you can help suggest a new set or let me know if I should wait for awhile in case there is something coming out for either plasma/lcd that will be a difference maker.

·
Banned
196 Posts
The first thing you need to do is get down to a Electronics store near you so you can compare plasma and LCD's together. Carefully observe the pictures from both tech's. Play around with the picture settings if they'll allow you so you can adjust the picture to your liking. Yes, both plasma and LCD have their strengths and weaknesses. Once you pick the type of display you want, then from there you can decide what fits your budget. Get the best display you can afford with the screen size you want.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19515154

The first thing you need to do is get down to a Electronics store near you so you can compare plasma and LCD's together. Carefully observe the pictures from both tech's. Play around with the picture settings if they'll allow you so you can adjust the picture to your liking. Yes, both plasma and LCD have their strengths and weaknesses. Once you pick the type of display you want, then from there you can decide what fits your budget. Get the best display you can afford with the screen size you want.

Very well said. Its hard to get a good comparison so I would try to go to a smaller shop. I would also go the biggest you can since they do tend to shrink over time

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments so far. From my research I have come up with the following

Plasma - No motion issues, great blacks. Not as bright as lcd and the possibility for IR, also higher power usage.

LCD - Bright display, no IR, lower power usage. Motion blur could happen and display quality decreases when viewed off angle.

Now when I bought a few years ago I believe the drawbacks to both technologies existed in greater degrees and the manufacturer's have done a lot to curb these issues in the displays they make. Though I'd like to upgrade to a new display maybe it would be best to wait awhile longer and see what new tech comes out and how the next generation performs. I mean even if the next generation is the same quality, the price of the current models will come down.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19522914

Plasma . . . . Not as bright as lcd

3+ years ago this was true, but all of the current Plasmas are now very bright - they can be set brighter than anyone would ever set it in even the brightest home environment. Nobody uses the full screen brightness that's available on their Plasmas. My west-facing living room gets very bright in the afternoon (see pics and gallery below) and i like my screen to be on the bright side - yet my 2009 G10's screen brightness setting is at about 80%, and i'm not even using the brighter Vivid picture mode. And the current models are even brighter than last years.

Quote:
and the possibility for IR,

IR is virtually non-existent on the Panasonics, but the other brands are still a little behind the curve here but even these aren't really affected if you use a little care.

Quote:
also higher power usage.

If so, the increase is fairly neglegeable on your monthly bill - maybe a few bucks. And a plasma will be a lot cheaper to buy than an LED LCD or even an LCD in the same size range so you're saving a big chunk of money right off the top. And since Plasma has better black levels, you could watch TV with all the lights turned off which saves electricity right there. If you watch an LCD in the dark the blacks glow so sometimes people tend to keep some accent lighting turned on in the room

Quote:
LCD - Bright display, no IR, lower power usage.

LCD TVs can have uneven screen uniformity, blotchyness, flashlighting, and other issues that i can't remember. And like on Plasma, the fact that LCDs can get brighter is moot since nobody ever sets their LCD screen brightness all the way up in a home setting. The only advantage of LCD being brighter than Plasma is that it makes them more attractive in a bright store environment, but it's misleading because once you get the LCD home, you're dialing the screen brightness way back so it doesn't look so blown out. And when you get it down to a comfortable level, it usually doesn't look as natural as a Plasma.

Quote:
Motion blur could happen and display quality decreases when viewed off angle.

It's not as bad on an LCD as it was a few years ago and many owners insist they can see no motion blur on their new LCDs, but i still see it on every LCD and LED LCD i see.

Quote:
Now when I bought a few years ago I believe the drawbacks to both technologies existed in greater degrees and the manufacturer's have done a lot to curb these issues in the displays they make.

Excellent observation - you're correct. LCD and now LED LCD has improved a lot more in the past few years than Plasma has and is getting closer to Plasma performance in many categories, but the inherent differences in the two technologies will always keep them from mimicking one another. I like LCDs, but i honestly don't think the technology will ever be able to attain the smooth fluid natural image quality of a Plasma screen. They will always look different.

Quote:
Though I'd like to upgrade to a new display maybe it would be best to wait awhile longer and see what new tech comes out and how the next generation performs. I mean even if the next generation is the same quality, the price of the current models will come down.

Since CES is only a few months away, i guess one could wait to see what gets announced there and discussed here soon after.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19522914

Thanks for the comments so far. From my research I have come up with the following

Plasma - No motion issues, great blacks. Not as bright as lcd and the possibility for IR, also higher power usage.

LCD - Bright display, no IR, lower power usage. Motion blur could happen and display quality decreases when viewed off angle.

Now when I bought a few years ago I believe the drawbacks to both technologies existed in greater degrees and the manufacturer's have done a lot to curb these issues in the displays they make. Though I'd like to upgrade to a new display maybe it would be best to wait awhile longer and see what new tech comes out and how the next generation performs. I mean even if the next generation is the same quality, the price of the current models will come down.

For plasma, IR is not really an issue unless you really abuse your panel with a static image for extended periods of time. And while the power usage of plasma is higher than that for LCD, you'll be lucky if you save $20/year by going with LCD. IMO, power savings shouldn't really factor into your decision, pick the display (whether its plasma or LCD) that produces the image you most prefer.

I agree though that its best to wait until the Spring to see what new models/features come out and like you said, if nothing else, prices on current models will take a nice drop.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wondering I am currently noticing deals for the Panasonic TC-P58S2 around the thousand dollar mark. My questions are:

For hdTV, Blu-Ray and Xbox 360 is this a good TV? Is there a better model/brand out there for in the same price range or would it be worth it to increase the budget?

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19549650

Just wondering I am currently noticing deals for the Panasonic TC-P58S2 around the thousand dollar mark. My questions are:

For hdTV, Blu-Ray and Xbox 360 is this a good TV? Is there a better model/brand out there for in the same price range or would it be worth it to increase the budget?

Costco offers a TC-P54G20. It is a better model than the S2 but you lose 4-inches. Samsung and LG tend to be the most popular around here at that size. (50+ inches)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone...

I'd like to ask u if a flatscreen bought in the US will be compatible in Europe (Germany) ? of course Aside from the voltage difference, easily solved with an adaptator. the tv in question is the new Sony BRAVIA KDL-55NX810.

thanks a lot for your responses guyz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts