AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on antennaweb.org's app, I need a medium directional antenna (outdoor). I was wondering if anyone could provide some guidance on the following:

- Some antennas are marketed as being optimal for HDTV reception--is there any difference between HDTV reception and UHF reception or is this pure marketing hype?

- I'm looking at the following antennas:

. Terk TV35

. Channel Master 5646, 3016, 3017, and 3010.

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with any of these? Is there any real difference between the models in terms of performance? They're all priced between $30-65.

·
Registered
121 Posts
HDTV is broadcast over the UHF spectrum. A UHF antenna is all you need. If you are in an area with multipath, you will need a directional UHF antenna. There is no such thing as a HDTV antenna.

If you want to go on my experience, forget the Terk. I ended up with a Channel Master 3016. It works fine, but I am line-of-sight 4 miles away from the tower, so it SHOULD work, but there several antennas that didn't.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
All HDTV is NOT necessarily on UHF !!!

Check http://www.titantv.com and check your local area on what channels will be digital in your area.

Starkelectronics is a good site for ordering an antenna, and if you prowl araound on it enough, you should be able to find which antenna will do the job for you.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final newbie questions:

. Should I get a UHF-only antenna since the stations in my area only broadcast in HD in the UHF spectrum? If so, I'd consider the Winegard PR-8800 (not sure if it's considered a medium directional antenna, however).

. What's the difference between a 75 ohm and 300 ohm antenna (besides 225 ohms http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )? How do I know if my HDTV tuner (Toshiba DST3000) accepts one or the other or both? Is it easy to convert one to the other? Are there disadvantages to either?

BTW, thanks for the rec--Stark Electronics does have great prices--a favorite of mine is www.spectravox.com

Thanks all for your help so far--I know you're doing all you can to get me hooked up w/HDTV...I'm trying!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Shewdinvester, Just a little of what I have learned about antennas,is that you get the largest antenna mount it as high as you can, for the distance you are from the transmitters. If you are 60 plus miles away like me, you will need a pre-amp, and will need to keep cable lengths as short as possible. Antennaweb.org said I would only need a medium directional antenna also, yea right http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif they were way too optimistic, so always go larger then what they say!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Let me pose a new auestion on this thread -

I am moving into a townhouse about 45 miles from the World Trade Center/Empire State Building (i think that covers all of the NY OTA digital channel sources).

While I understand my rights in relation to putting up an antennae, let's assume for the moment that I want to try to be a good neighbor where I'm moving and don't want to ruffle any feathers the week I move in (also, the townhouses are attached and I DO NOT own my roof, so that complicates things as well.) Does anyone have any experiences with the non-traditional, smaller, sleeker antennaes (ie. - Recoton, some of the Terks). Are any of these antennaes any good?

PS - This is not intended to start another endless thread regarding your rights to put up a dish or antennae.

·
Registered
740 Posts
hhmmmmm? bschack I have an idea but you will have to have a window or wall facing the towers with no obstructions?

If so try a bow tie type antenna, a four bay may work for 45 miles you might have to use a pre-amp on it. you could rig it into a window or hang it from the wall.not so sure about reflections or multipath problems mounting these antennas so close to the side of a building, so make sure you can return it if it does not work. If you are facing the wrong way,well you can try those Terk inside antennas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought an RCA antenna and get 100 on all local stations in Sacramento, CA from about 35+ miles. It's just mounted to a one story chimney. It's pretty flat here with no major obstructions. The one I bought is UHF only so it's less obtrusive on the roof.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=791&scat=845

Bought the pole, ground wire, and mount kit at Home Depot. Make sure to ground it properly.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
So you don't "own" the roof - big deal!!

Just put your antenna on a pole resting on the ground, tall enough to get above the roofline. Secure the pole to the structure of the townhouse. Problem solved.

BTW, I wouldn't be too concerned about ruffling feathers over an antenna when you have a legal right to put it up. If the neighbors get bent out of shape over that, there is no way in he** we would ever get along in the long run anyway.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
957 Posts
Shrewdinvestor:

You are correct to be using a UHF only. (unless you want the VHF locals) I am using a Antennacraft MX-U59 and it works great. with my Mitsubishi SRHD5 all local digital stations are at 100% signal strength. The DTC-100 I pulled offline was in the mid 80s to 90s for all stations without having to adjust the rotor. I previously had used the largest Rat Shack UHF antenna and the signal strength was about 7 points across the board lower on the DTC-100 than the MX-U59. You can get Antennacraft and Channelmaster antennas at Pringle Electronics in Everett 425-258-6161 . They mainly deal with professional installers and they have anything you could dream of needing for your install. Great quality at a fair price.

Good luck

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just put a Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna up this weekend. According to antenna.org I needed a 'light green' antenna (I'm about 30 miles from the Detroit area stations). I ended up getting the next bigger/stronger size (red) which is 120" long. I mounted it in the attic of my two story house. The reception is fantastic. I am planning on getting the DISH 6023 next, but wanted to get the antenna first. Now I think I can save the $5/month for local channels, and should be able to get all the OTA digital channels using the 8VSB with no problems.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Newbie Question. What do you mean when you install a antenna in an attic? Does this really work?? I know this is a dumb question but I'm learning. Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tuffguy3:
Newbie Question. What do you mean when you install a antenna in an attic? Does this really work?? I know this is a dumb question but I'm learning. Thanks
It means exactly that. I just did it this weekend myself. It's not always easy, depending on how open your roof trusses are, but many people have had very good results just placing the antennae in the attic. No doubt there is a decrease in signal strength, but my suggestion would be to try it, and see if it works for you.

------------------

DVI/HDCP makes your HDTV not ready

·
Registered
319 Posts
tuffguy3,

Not a dumb question...I wondered if this would work myself...until I did it this past weekend. I have a Sony 10HT front projector...getting ready to get DISH 6023 to get some HDTV programing. But, wanted to make sure I could get the over the air digital and analog stuff first. Wife didn't want two dishes and an antenna on the roof. Sooo...I put the antenna in the attic space. And yes, seams to work and the wife is happy. I am about 30 miles from the Detroit area stations (7-ABC, 2-FOX, 62-CBS, 4-NBC, 56-PBS) and these come in great. I also get these affiliates from Flint (to the North) and Lansing (to the West) pretty good, but not great(60+ miles away). The UHF stations also come in fantastic. The antenna is suspended up in the trusses, and I ran a 50' RG6 coax down an interior wall to basement, where my tuner is. I did not use a line amplifier. I have a two story house with vinyl siding and I pointed the antenna East, where the majority of the station are located. Pretty straight forward project (other then being over 100 degrees in attic) and I am very pleased with results.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.