AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ppl 1st time poster here, but Im pretty good with electronics....I need some help buying speakers. A year ago I purchased the Onkyo SR-800 HTIB for $400 on sale at Circuit city, which I thought was a dream price at the moment... Now a year later im opting to upgrade the boxy sounding L/R front speakers it came with. Im looking to buy only the two front L/R speakers and looking for small like the klipsch quintets, or even bose cubes. I have been doing alot of reading on the quintet ii, and iii. I even called the techs at klipsch and asked about the ii's and iii's and they said they are both the exact same speaker internally, and the only difference is the aluminum and modern look the iii's have. Ive read that its better to take the bass/lows off the quintets if u got a powered sub (which I have). I played around with my receiver and I saw a setting to change the front spkrs to small or big which takes the bass/lows off entirely from the speakers and even change the sound on each speaker independently which I thought is amazing.

I have found the quintet ii's L/R front speaker on ebay for $120 slightly used. I read about paradigms and Definitive Technology - ProMonitor 800 speakers. Im looking to spend no more then $250 a pair being thats what my budget allows. I listen to the radio pretty loud sometimes with music so I went to bestbuy and heard the klipsch quintet iii and maxed the volume without setting the EQ and they sounded wonderful and rich. Now for my question what do you guys think? Please help guide me into not wasting the little money I have into something bad....

Much appreciate the help. Ill also post some pics of my mini home theater soon

ps....looking into buying the klipsch synergy 12'' woofer

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
ProMonitor 800s are really nice, but out of your budget. Hard to find used and a new pair is $290 (and you really should get three to do L/R/C all at the same time).

Most other great buys (like the KEFs at Vanns) are bigger than what you want.

You may want to up your budget, up your size, or fins used Klipsch or Nanosats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, i forgot to mention that my living room space is rather small, so big speakers are out of the question hence why I like the quintets...and thanks for that usefull info, please keep them coming,

·
Registered
297 Posts
Obviously you were unhappy with the satellite speakers you originally purchased. You may want to go with on wall speakers if your tight for room, or atleast bookshelfs. Which would really both be out of your price range. You must realize a few things, you're probably looking for speakers that can get loud and sound good, but also ones that sound accurate when they are loud.

In the hierarchy of sound, floorstanding speakers will always have the fullest range for sound. You can get Some decent bookshelf speakers that you would probably be much happier with, and want to keep for more than a year.

Otherwise, stay away from bose, they don't handle power very well, and are nowhere near as efficient as the klipsch, or even the def tec speakers you're looking at.

I agree with the other poster, you may want to up your budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent bought the klipsch quintet iii's yet, but they are my main preference, I did test them in bestbuy and they sounded so good,and clean on high volume with a cheap yamaha receiver and im 100% sure I can get them sounding better in my house with some more calibration and fine tweaking. And as far as bose cubes goes..I have no intention on buying them lol, but like I said the quintet iii are the ones im really leaning towards...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I also bought the Onkyo SR800 HTIB when it first came out. It was pretty good but I wanted better so after seven or eight months I bought the Klipsch Quintet IIs for $200 from an ad in my local newspaper. I picked up the Klipsch KSW10 off of ebay for $200. My surround experience has improved significantly with the upgrade, I'm verry happy with the system. I am still using the original Onkyo surrounds as my rears for the 7.1 setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/15592467

I also bought the Onkyo SR800 HTIB when it first came out. It was pretty good but I wanted better so after seven or eight months I bought the Klipsch Quintet IIs for $200 from an ad in my local newspaper. I picked up the Klipsch KSW10 off of ebay for $200. My surround experience has improved significantly with the upgrade, I'm verry happy with the system. I am still using the original Onkyo surrounds as my rears for the 7.1 setup.

yea i had it for a yr and lookin to toss the big old fronts it came with, can u tell me how high do u put the volume? and what crossover are u using for the woofer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 /forum/post/15592510

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3.html

These are under $300 from their Outlet Store. I haven't heard these but the reviews are pretty nice. Claims of good bass from a bookshelf. Won some awards too.

thanks ill take a look at these.....any more suggestions.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broSki /forum/post/15592737

yea i had it for a yr and lookin to toss the big old fronts it came with, can u tell me how high do u put the volume? and what crossover are u using for the woofer?

My crossover is at 100 if I am recalling correctly. Volume varies. I like to play most Blu-rays at around 50 but if someone is watching with me they often complain that it's too loud. For casual TV viewing over cable I usually have volume between 28 and 36.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/15596340

My crossover is at 100 if I am recalling correctly. Volume varies. I like to play most Blu-rays at around 50 but if someone is watching with me they often complain that it's too loud. For casual TV viewing over cable I usually have volume between 28 and 36.

yea i just got ur mess, n replied to it... thanks for the replies to this thread ya have been very helpful, Im going with the klipsch quintet ii's and then upgrade to the klipsch sub 10 after some more savings...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts