AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at upgrading my receiver and speakers for a new home theater setup. I want a receiver that has HDMI inputs and decodes the DTS HD and TRU-HD codecs and has at least 3 HDMI. I'd prefer to have 4 in case I need it in the future, but can't think of another HDMI input I'd need. I'm starting to trip up over the variety of equipment out there.

I was at a local chain called Ultimate Electronics and found an Infinity TSS 1200 for $300 on clearance. It is new and unopened. Their regular price on this system was $1,200.

He then wanted to bundle it with a Denon AVR 1910 for $500. However, I'm unfamiliar with this receiver.

I was originally thinking of the Onkyo TX-SR607 as a receiver. I can get it for $360 at accessories4less.com. Or, what do you guys think of the Onkyo TX-SR507?

Perhaps bundling it with the Energy Take 5 Pack at Newegg for $200. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269004

Or, should I just forget all that and get the Onkyo HT-S6100 Home Theater in the Box. Does this serve my needs? How does this receiver compare to the other Onkyo or Denon AVR 1910?

Basically, I'm wondering if there's any difference between the Onkyo HTIB and the receiver/speaker combos I'm looking at that actually justify the price difference.

Thank you

Gaelinic

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Here's what I'd do. Buy the Energy Take Classic 5.0 speaker system for $200 and then get the BIC F-12 subwoofer from Provantage for about $185 which includes shipping.

The Denon receiver you mentioned is a good one but it's also not the best receiver to get as your 'first' one. Denon are typically a bit harder to learn and the manuals/remote are not easily interpreted for many people. If that doesn't bother you and you're savvy with technology then go for the Denon by all means.

The Onkyo receiver you mentioned is very similar in performance levels and functionality, perhaps it's a bit more user friendly.

Keep in mind that you don't need alot of power for run these speakers..whether it's the Infinity speakers or the Energy speakers. You could get away with a $300 receiver from Yamaha or Pioneer and have just as good SQ.

The reason I would go with the Energy speakers and F-12 sub is because this will allow you to upgrade down the road much easier. You can shift the front L/R speakers back and add 2 towers down the road. The Energy speakers are all wall mountable too which adds a bit of versatility.

I haven't heard the Infinity speaker system you mentioned so I can't really comment on it. For $300 it's a good deal apparently...and you'd pay closer to $400 for the Energy/BIC combo. I'd be willing to bet it's worth the extra money but either way you'll get a decent entry level system.

Just remember, your speakers are something you'll have for years and years and they account for almost all of your sound quality. It's better to spend more on speakers and less on your receiver. In other words, if I were you I'd be buying a $300 yamaha/pio receiver and spending $200 more on speakers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.