1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

To consider:

- budget is $600

- my roomis 11' X 25'. It's a double room: living room on one end and dining room on the other end. The plasma TV is in the living room of course and next to it I will place stereo speakers (not 3.1 and not 5.1, plain old 2.0).

- would like tofill the room with sound even at low volume.

- ampli is Cambridge Audio 550-A stereo ampli.

- would like speakers with a small footprint

- would like speakers with a modern look (Mordaunt Short is an example where I like the look, same for Fokal).

- standing towers may be too gigantic for the living room which is quite tiny (11' x 12' is where we have the sofas) so I was hoping to find bookshelves that could fill the room and place them on stands.

Thanks in advance for any help,

melkiades

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Mourdant Short and Focal are very good speakers. If you like these, consider them.

My recommendation would be these, Dali IKON2 . Having a recent experience with these, I think you will like them for both appearance and looks. Bass extension is VG. Footprint is small given the relatively narrow width 44mmx19mmx30mm (HxWxD), tall and narrow. You integrated amp will drive these well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

The era look nice but I couldn't find a website with detailed pictures.

I'm looking at Canton right now, the bookshelf unit (Karat 720.2) looks awesome, but I haven't found any prices online. I'll see if any local stores carry it in Montreal.

Do you think that this pair would fill my room at reasonably low volume?

Also, do you think I made a mistake going with a stereo system instead of a Home Cinema 5.1 system? I assumed that the sound would be far superior in hi-fi, since my ampli is not crowded with five amplificators...

mel

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkiades /forum/post/19637581

Thanks guys!

The era look nice but I couldn't find a website with detailed pictures.

I'm looking at Canton right now, the bookshelf unit (Karat 720.2) looks awesome, but I haven't found any prices online. I'll see if any local stores carry it in Montreal.

Do you think that this pair would fill my room at reasonably low volume?

Also, do you think I made a mistake going with a stereo system instead of a Home Cinema 5.1 system? I assumed that the sound would be far superior in hi-fi, since my ampli is not crowded with five amplificators...

mel

Pictures of era below.

http://www.signalpathint.com/images/...e_march_08.pdf

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
You'll want bookshelf speakers with some bass extension. For something that looks nice and has some bass, check out the Aperion 6B bookshelf speakers. They are a little bit over budget, but these things look to be flat to 50 hz with usable bass below that even. I don't think any of these other speakers you are looking at can touch that at all.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/19637869

You'll want bookshelf speakers with some bass extension. For something that looks nice and has some bass, check out the Aperion 6B bookshelf speakers. They are a little bit over budget, but these things look to be flat to 50 hz with usable bass below that even. I don't think any of these other speakers you are looking at can touch that at all.

I agree that bass extension is important. The era d5's go down to 50hz, the d4 lcr's go down to 55hz.

Ron

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's hard to get LF with a single small driver. It's hard to get a large driver or 3-way in a bookshelf. I think you would do well with some discreetly located subs.

That said: many floor-standers are not any larger than a bookshelf on stands (compare a Paradigm 60 and 20 for example). Resonance is more of an issue in floor-standing speakers; but bass is easier to get.

There are also some 2.5-way bookshelves out there.

In my own livingroom-that-becomes-dining room: I'm strongly considering setting up some dipoles in the dining room for sound reinforcement when music listening.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should take a look at bg z1 at av express. You can get it now for 150 free shipping. Msrp is 600. Got a great review from stereophile. It use a ribbon tweeter which is awesome. After about 20-30 hrs the bass really comes alive. But could use a sub. With the money you save you can get a really good 8 inch sub with a small footprint and kill a 2.0 bookshelf setup. I was in your shoes actually my budget was 1000 but after doing some googling i ended up with the bg z1s. I'm still in awe.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMusic /forum/post/19637980

You should take a look at bg z1 at av express. You can get it now for 150 free shipping. Msrp is 600. Got a great review from stereophile. It use a ribbon tweeter which is awesome. After about 20-30 hrs the bass really comes alive. But could use a sub. With the money you save you can get a really good 8 inch sub with a small footprint and kill a 2.0 bookshelf setup. I was in your shoes actually my budget was 1000 but after doing some googling i ended up with the bg z1s. I'm still in awe.

Curious, what do you recommend for a center with these?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I was about to pull the trigger on either nht absolute towers or nht classic threes. Then I saw a thread here on Avs about tweak city waf-1. Did some research on them and read great reviews so that had me thinking about what if I can get great speaker for less. Was about to get the waf-1s because I said why not for 149. So one day right before I was going to order the waf-1s I thought I would check avs just to see what's everyone up to and came across av express sale ad. That's where I found out about the bg z1s. Did some research and saw a great review on stereophile which gave them a c rating and said why not for 150. Money wasn't an issue but I figured for what the bg cost why not. For comparison the nht absolute towers are super smooth. Very warm. So smooth it put my 13mo old baby to sleep. Btw I take my baby everywhere even to audition speakers. Well the bgs are up there with the nhts. Not as smooth but the tweeters blow the nhts away hands down. The vocal are alil better on the nhts but that's expected as the nhts are a 3way tower. At first I thought the bg bass was weak until after about a weak it's slot better. But for what I spent that's what the sub is for. Oh let me add the bg is super sexy compared to the nht. Btw I like the looks of speakers on stands.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everyone hears differently so I hope you like it if you do get it. It doesn't come with plugs so I plugged it with a pair of socks lol because I have them placed against the wall. If you're not on a budget then it's worth a try at 150.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just read the review at stereophile and it does sound like an amazing pair of speakers. It would have been great to have a piano white or piano black version

Now my problem is that av-express is yet another US site that thinks that Canada is some unkown remote country: they won't ship there. If anyone knows of a shop in Canada that carries them please let me know!

Also, does anyone know why bgcorp's website doesn't list the Z-1 or Z-5 or any of the Z series? I checked under Products_In Room Speakers (and everywhere else hehehe).

Cheers to all and thank you for all your great replies

mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMusic /forum/post/19637980

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts