AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My room size is approx 24' X 14' X 14'. This is a dedicated theater room with double walls, base traps, sound absorption panels and certain amount of diffusion.

Main speakers are going to be statements 2.
Two 18" subs using Dayton Reference drivers.
Sub Amp Inuke6000.
Setup 9.2 channel, 190W per channel.

I am trying to finalize surrounds and center. I haven't evaluated centers at all, but tentatively decided on volt's for surrounds.
My questions:
1. would volt 6's be enough for this setup?
2. What are good options for the center?

I will be suing this for both music and Movies 50/50.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A third Statement 2 would be ideal so your front 3 speakers all match. If you're using a projector, it can easily work behind it. If you use a TV, you'll have to see if there's enough space to mount your TV just above the speaker height without craning your neck depending on seating distance.

·
Registered
745 Posts
speaker choices

My room size is approx 24' X 14' X 14'. This is a dedicated theater room with double walls, base traps, sound absorption panels and certain amount of diffusion.

Main speakers are going to be statements 2.
Two 18" subs using Dayton Reference drivers.
Sub Amp Inuke6000.
Setup 9.2 channel, 190W per channel.

I am trying to finalize surrounds and center. I haven't evaluated centers at all, but tentatively decided on volt's for surrounds.
My questions:
1. would volt 6's be enough for this setup?
2. What are good options for the center?
I will be suing this for both music and Movies 50/50.
I have a 13 by 27 room with 8 ft ceiling, bass traps in front corners near mysubs and some general "Realtraps" at the rear nearer the ceiling at 45 degrees. No diffusers, at least not yet. Just so you have a feeling of where I come from. Mostly just tv but movies and music about 50 50 like you.

Definitely match the center to the side front mains unless the Statement 2's are no good on dialogue, then find another speaker that is better on dialogue to use for all three. To me,voice is like a face on a color tv. If facial color is not right, nothing else can overcome the irritation of a green face! If the face color looks natural then all else is sort of acceptable to the viewer. Same for sound and voice.
I am not familiar with the statements. Saw a You tube video and listened to it on headphones.. The music could not give any reasonable feel overall unless all they wanted was BOOM BOOM. The speakers may be good but that video sure did not attest to it. If you have heard a real pair and know what they sound like it should be safe to go that direction. If not, find a different speaker.

For side and rear surrounds, matching to fronts is much less important, if important at all. Also supposed to be better to have surrounds near ear height but that, as all audio, may be subject to the preferences of the owner. My center is a little low to enable fit under my screen and tv stand but I have the horns angled to point to seated ear level and that seems to be ok. I finally have all 7 floor level speakers at ear level with matched drivers and am happy. With normal tv, sometimes dialogue comes uniformly at the front sides and no the center for a centered mono signal and other times it is a combination of side and center. It is so balanced that you have to walk up to the three speakers individually to find out which is the source. For a while I had a Klipsch center and it drove me nuts. Totally different tonal balance from the sides. My 4 in ceiling atmos are Klipsch 6.5 inch coax units and they do just fine with the JBL floor speakers. All floor speakers have basically the same JBL midrange and treble horn drivers and close to the same enclosure internal volumes (except the front center volume). All in homebuilt enclosures also. Not sure if it was the best way to go but I just had to do it sort of out of general principles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts