AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For viewing old fashioned non-HD dvd's is it worth getting a 720 projector, or would 480 be enough? This is for occasional use, so I would prefer to go the cheaper route if there not a big difference in image quality.

I go for the 720 I am thinking of going for the HC1500, but if I there is not to much difference with a 480, then I would not mind spending less. But I have not found a good place for reviews on "low" definition projectors.

In any case, would projector would you suggest? The setting is a room which is very dark, so brightness would not be a major problem. The projector would be on a very low coffee table about 4 feet in front of the couch, and the screen could be at most 14 feet from the table.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
go with 720p or 1080p if u can swing it.

afaik, there arent too many 16x9 480p pjs around. maybe infocus?

look at offerings from:

otoma

mitsubishi

panasonic

acer

sony

all affordably priced.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarc /forum/post/14186670

Hello,

For viewing old fashioned non-HD dvd's is it worth getting a 720 projector, or would 480 be enough? This is for occasional use, so I would prefer to go the cheaper route if there not a big difference in image quality.

I go for the 720 I am thinking of going for the HC1500, but if I there is not to much difference with a 480, then I would not mind spending less. But I have not found a good place for reviews on "low" definition projectors.

In any case, would projector would you suggest? The setting is a room which is very dark, so brightness would not be a major problem. The projector would be on a very low coffee table about 4 feet in front of the couch, and the screen could be at most 14 feet from the table.

Thanks in advance.

There isn't anyway I'd bother doing anything less then a 720p projector capable of great HD viewing. Why would you want anything less? You may feel you only need 480 now, but sooner rather then later, you gonna need more. The projector is going to be the heart & soul over your video.

Now if you insist on 480p 4:3 email me. I can hook you up with a great Sharp PJ from yesteryear. It was the very best, say about 8 years ago and still throws a very serviceable picture.

·
Registered
625 Posts
this is all i watch--- Std DVDs movie/concerts (not HD)

since my source has always been PIXEL matched Bravo/Momitsu/Computer

to 854x480 i thought i had the best possible PQ from my SP4805/IN72 PJs

but moving to SP7210 (720p) sending it an upscaled DVI signal from Bravo/Momitsu

has changed my thinking===Detail/PQ is much BETTER

i won't be going back to 480p

·
Registered
384 Posts
Avoid the Panasonic ax100-200 they exhibit too much ghosting on std DVD for my taste(denon 2900 via comp). I had the 4805 on the same player and std dvd was stunning.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14186769

go with 720p or 1080p if u can swing it.

afaik, there arent too many 16x9 480p pjs around. maybe infocus?

Infocus, Epson, Optoma, and others make 480p HT projectors that are usually 854x480 pixels. The portable and the all-in-ones are very cool,and great for taking to a friends. I have had a DV10 that we use out on our deck and sometimes ar our neighbor's backyard for a couple years.

A bad scaler can really kill a 480i picture. With 480p, SD will always look good.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog /forum/post/14190122

Infocus, Epson, Optoma, and others make 480p HT projectors that are usually 854x480 pixels. The portable and the all-in-ones are very cool,and great for taking to a friends. I have had a DV10 that we use out on our deck and sometimes ar our neighbor's backyard for a couple years.

A bad scaler can really kill a 480i picture. With 480p, SD will always look good.

yeah, i would think it's a blast to use a dv10, etc for an outdoor film showing. i live in an apt. complex where one of those would be great for evening shows. sort of like an old fashioned drive-in theater with out the cars.

i thought about getting one but its too far down on my 'to get' list.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14190193

yeah, i would think it's a blast to use a dv10, etc for an outdoor film showing. i live in an apt. complex where one of those would be great for evening shows. sort of like an old fashioned drive-in theater with out the cars.

i thought about getting one but its too far down on my 'to get' list.

I originally bought one to use as both a portable AND in my basement. I set up a table that the projector sat underneath. I ran an optical audio and a component video cable under the rug back to my cabinet with the receiver, cable box and DVD player. HD broadcasts actually looked very good, and it worked very well...but then my kids reached 2 years old and always wanted to play with it.
That's when I bought a ceiling mounted projector.

btw in two weeks we are having guys night on the deck. We plan on watching Caddyshack and something similar, having a large cooler of beer and deep-frying some chicken wings with various hot sauces.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd go 720. My Optoma was great on upscaled (Oppo, Sony 300 Blu-ray) standard def material. I swear some really good DVD's really surprised me at how good they looked. My friends thought they looked hi-def (til I put on something really hi-def) Even if you go Hi-def, the 720 will make a fine entry system. My new Epson 1080, with Realta Blu-ray, is incredible, but I could still gladly live with the 720 if I had to.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
People considering a first projector for viewing movies often don't understand the impact on image when it is stretched across a large screen - like ours @ 10 ft diagonal.

Standard definition (regular) dvd movies simply won't look as good as on a smaller tv.

IMO you will be wasting your money and be disappointed unless you buy digital capable with 720p resolution. IMO you really don't need to spend the extra cash at this time for 1080p - wait a while - the 1080p gadgets will get significantly cheaper yet better in a year or two.

Anyway, 720p native resolution with 16:9 native aspect ratio with HDMI digital input are you minimum needs. Then you must also have a dvd player with up conversion/up scaling built-in with a HDMI output.

Our personal experience is we were very, very disappointed with watching our standard definition regular dvd movies on our big screen using component projector input. I invested a modest $95 U.S. in a Sony dvd player with up conversion and HDMI and WOW - WOW what a difference.

No more thoughts of upgrading to HD dvd. Our hundreds of regular dvd movies suddenly look near HD even stretched across a 120 inch diagonal and to us and our old eyeballs we suddenly had a true Home Theater experience.

We chose a Panasonic LCD 720p 16:9 projector - some prefer DLP - I happen to be very sensitive to RainBow Effect (RBE) caused by the color wheel in DLP consumer projectors. The good news is both LCD and DLP technology has evolved competitively that whichever you choose you should have a great experience cause there isn't a tv on the market today that can compete with the BIG SCREEN Home Theater experience available with front projection (unless you can be happy with a dinky 63 or 72 inch screen).

OKAY - minimum 720p native with HDMI input with an good up-converting dvd player equals a great HT experience with regular dvd movies and HD TV programming.

goodluck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your comments.

I think I'll go for the 720. My plan was on using my laptop as dvd reader, but it only has VGA output. Do you know if this will be adequate?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts