AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys forgive me as Im an extreme 'newb' to advanced AV so to speak, and only recently stumbled across this awesome website. I was interested in the 'soap opera' effect after noticing it on my parents' Samsung as well as a few other friends' sets. I enjoy the vibrant almost fake look that it offers (I know im a weirdo!) and after reading many posts here I was led to believe that this effect was achieved by utilizing the Cinema Smooth feature. BUT....I have the 50B550 model, so I learned (again, thanks to you guys) how to access my service menu, change my set to a 50B560 & from there after playing a BD from my PS3, was able to select Cinema Smooth! I was elated thinking this had solved my issue, but not so lucky. The Cinema Smooth feature is accessible & engaged; however there is no difference in PQ. I checked the PS3 to ensure the 24p output. I even loaded new 1021 SW from Samsung online.....

Ive been reading for DAYS now....cant seem to find an answer. I hope this hasnt been discussed previously. If so, please forgive my ignorance. My journey began here -

'Did I just turn my Samsung PN58B550 into a 560? Yes I did!'

Sorry... apparently I have to post at least 3 times in order to provide the link to the thread on AVS I was speaking of, so reference the title. No one seemed to have any problems. What am I missing or doin wrong?

·
Registered
381 Posts
happy friday
You are actually not missing anything or doing anything wrong. CS wont improve the PQ it will just keep the fast moving camera pans from juddering. In fact CS will actually raise your brightness a little because of the bug in it. Unfortunetly I believe there is nothing we can do about that soap opera effect.

If you goto this link http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...141096&page=35 it will show you some other stuff you can do in the service menu, please just be careful and make sure to write down any setting you change in there. This link is for the b450 but the service menu is the same "K" .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happy Friday Kanpol & thanks for the quick response! Ill have to check those settings out this evening when I get off work - but I am a bit confused.....I WANT my 550 to have the 'soap opera effect', so are you saying that there is no way to achieve that? Heres my thing - even tho my pic is incredible, its still like watching 2 different movies when I pop Dark Knight into the PS3 at home, or when I play it @ my neighbor's or parents' house. Granted, they both have newer Samsungs, but Sammys nonetheless. So I guess I should rephrase my inquiry - is there any way to achieve the fakish SO effect with my 550? Sorry if i sound redundant! I just wanna be sure Im asking the right question - thanks a ton!

·
Registered
381 Posts
are they're tvs lcd/led or plasmas. I ask because I believe that lcd/led will have that effect. i also believe that last years models c7000 and c8000 can turn that effect on and off(motion judder cancelation).

Thats my bad I sort of read your 1st post wrong, I thought you didnt want it. You explained it fine i just misread, i apologize for that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upon further review, they are both LCD Sammys. So I guess Im SOL....but at least I know its not something I can change within the settings. Sux tho....I really think that the effect is cool.

Thanks for your help my friend!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I was under the impression that cinema smooth was Samsung's implementation of proper 24p cadence and refreshes the panel at 96Hz to avoid telecine.

What you would need to achieve SOE is the MJC - Motion Judder Canceler. Far as I know this was only available on higher-end "C" model plasmas, and has been removed for the "D" models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.