AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can you get Coloured C-Elements for GT-17 lenses, I read before that 3M might sell them? Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
You don't get the colored C-elements for the lenses, you get them for the LC tubes that the GT-17 lenses go on.

The "C" element is the first lens element, in an LC tube, it is also the front of the coolant chamber, which is where the term "liquid coupled" comes from, since the projection tube is coupled to the first lens element by the coolant fluid.

So, you don't get color filtered lenses with the HD-10 family of lenses, you get color filtered tubes.

I am in the middle of trying to change a colored c element on a Marquee LC tube for a buddy, and I can tell you, unless someone can give me alot of help, it is a VERY, VERY difficult job...

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Thanks very much for that link, it is very informative.

However, when removing the old c-element, there is NO WAY there is any edge that is 'loose' where I can lift the edge of the old c-element, should I chisel under that edge ? The old c-element is damaged anyway....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Paul,

As the one who put the PDF together, I must add a couple of comments.

I must have been lucky with the 4 Red C-Elements I have installed so far, each of them had a section of the Clear Element that pulled away from the Bellows and then the rest was easy.

Another way is to use a sharp knife, and cut the silicon, you need to be very careful, as the bellows are very easy to split or cut. then needing replacement.

Replacement of the Bellows is a much bigger job, not something I have done yet.

Just a note, the new 9500's don't have any silicon to seal them, why I don't know, but I always seal them back in to prevent leaks in the future.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
If the old c-element is damaged anyway, I suggest that you drill a couple of small holes in the black rim if the old c-element close to the clear with a 1/16th drill bit about 3/16 deep and thread in a couple of sheet metal screws to aid in pulling it out. Be carefull, the black rim is only about 1/4 inch thick. To insure that you don't drill to deep, measure 3/16ths on the drill bit and wrap with tape as a guide. That's what I would do. You do at your own risk.

Chip

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP
Where can you get Coloured C-Elements for GT-17 lenses, I read before that 3M might sell them? Anyone know?
What color do you need? I have them in stock.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ok, I have my red C-Element, and I'm getting ready to install it.

Do the instructions in http://www.outofsync.dk/celementchange.pdf also apply to the 8500LC?

A week for the silicon to cure? Crazy! Is there a better/faster method?

I hope this goes smoothly. I wasn't anticipating a potentially difficult job. I'll cry if the bellows becomes damaged! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.