AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Sony HDTV with NTSC/ATSC/QUAM tuners. I have been told by many sources that Comcast sends local HD content along with the SD stuff. However I am having trouble getting the Comcast local HD channels. I understand Comcast has these coming out of their coax because they are local, so I connected the coax directly to the TV. I can get some HD local some of the time.

Initially I found 4 channels, but they changed. The first time I scanned all the channels, WLS-HD was at 92.1. When I went back it was then Discovery Kids. WGN-HD also changed to the Science Channel. NBC-HD is the only one that I get all the time.

If I "Auto Program" the channels & enter 92.1 directly, I will get WLS-HD. But once I scan away from it and come back it becomes Discovery Kids.

If I go from 115.1 to 115.2, I get ESPN-HD.

If I go from 115.5 to 115.2, I get FOX-HD.

This happens all the time.

Comcast cannot help, said I need their HD STB. Went round & round with them.

Called the store, they said probably a Comcast problem & not the set. I'm not surprised at their answers, but I was hoping one of them knew the actual frequencies to tune in.

Either the set's tuner is off or the frequencies are so close that I need to punch in the exact channel. I bracketed the 115.2 to see if both ESPN-HD and FOX-HD would show up, but no luck.

Sooo, has anyone in the Chicago/Elmhurst area tried their HDTV with cable right out of the wall? If you can tune in the local HD channels, please let me know what they are.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I found part of my problem. The "Auto program" missed a few local HD channels. The problem ones were at a frequency other than the channel listed. So I manually dug them out.

Does Comcast transmit some channels at slightly off frequency?

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mike,

I'm near you on the Elmhurst system, with a new 42" A10. Having the same issues of "hide and seek" with the local HD channels off of the Comcast coax. I have a new but cheap over-the-air antenna that picks up a couple HD stations not found by the TV on the coax. Have only run the Autoscan routine once so far.

When you say "manually dug them out," what specifically do you mean (how do you do that)?

BTW, Channel seven (ABC) seems to be at 7.2. Can't find CBS (2) anywhere.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruce,

This was done with the Comcast coax feeding directly to the TV.

I started by using the "Diagnostic" function in Wega Gate. I don't have my set on at the moment as I am moving it around so I can't tell you where it located in the menu system. I can get back to you on that. Anyway, when I got WLS-HD at 92.1 the diagnostic stated it was channel 108. Same with WGN at 92.2. So I manually entered every 108.X channel. Bingo - WLS/ABC at 108.1 and WGN at 108.2. And Diagnostic did show this to be correct.

My temporary FOX at 115.2 came up with 117 per diagnostic. I found it at 117.2.

NBC was at 115.5. But diagnostic came up with 117.5. IOW, I have two NBC channels. I have no idea why but figured the diagnostic must be correct, and the frequency it shows is 753,000 KHz, which appears correct for channel 117.

I just started going thru all the 116.X and found CBS at 116.1 and WTTW at 116.2. Just a FWIW, WTTW-HD does not always have the same programming as the analog channel, so it will look different.

I then went back and did a "Auto Program" for the digital channels only and it now picked up 108.1 ABC and 108.2 for WGN. Makes me wonder if the local HD is weaker and the Sony tuner skips over them.

So far what I have is:

CBS @ 116.1

NBC @ 117.5

ABC @ 108.1

WGN @ 108.2

WTTW @ 116.2

Fox @ 117.2

You may find duplicates, but the diagnostic shows these as correct, presuming I'm looking at things properly. I'll stand correct on any & all issues as this is all new to me.

Scan again and manually enter these channels and let me know what you come up with.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99
Bruce,

...You may find duplicates, but the diagnostic shows these as correct, presuming I'm looking at things properly. I'll stand correct on any & all issues as this is all new to me.

Scan again and manually enter these channels and let me know what you come up with.

Mike
Indeed. Came up with the same thing. Some duplicates... but your list is the same for me.

Because it seems this thread is quickly becoming a two-person discussion, I'll send you a PM on more specifics.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Remember that Comcast or any cable company may move channels on their QAMs around.

If you have a STB, it will automatically remap. It will also do the same if you have a cable card and they hit that cable card to update it after the changes.

If you have neither of the above, you will have to play hide and seek for the channels again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
:) Same in Atlanta, so I gave up and got a "free" CableCard. Works great, if your set will accept it.

Given that others had seen the same issue, there seems to be nothing you can do.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
"Remember that Comcast or any cable company may move channels on their QAMs around. " Too much aggravation and re-mapping the boxes to do that.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.