AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new TV so the current speakers are going downstairs and I'm building a slightly bigger even better set for the DLP. Here's the info.

-67" DLP, pretty much my home theater for blurays only

-forgot to measure but room is 14' x 18' at best guess, will measure and update later

-Polk Monitor 70 series II floorstanding

-Polk R150 (I think/or close to it) surrounds

What I need advice on

-Polk CS2 series II center (haven't bought but on sale/highly considering)

-Subwoofer Polk PSW505 or BIC America F12 or taking suggestions

-Reciever, prefer 5.1 unless there isn't much savings. 3D required, want something that will use the full power of my speakers, or come close, without being overkill. Budget for Reciever $250 - $400. Prefer the $250 models unless there is a $400 that will blow away something like Onkyo TX-NR509

And a question. I just got my Monitor 70s and they are the nicest floorstanding speakers I've ever had. There are 2 +'s and 2 -'s why and do I have to find a way to use all 4 to use it's full potential?

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei /forum/post/0

Got a new TV so the current speakers are going downstairs and I'm building a slightly bigger even better set for the DLP. Here's the info.

-67" DLP, pretty much my home theater for blurays only

-forgot to measure but room is 14' x 18' at best guess, will measure and update later

-Polk Monitor 70 series II floorstanding

-Polk R150 (I think/or close to it) surrounds

What I need advice on

-Polk CS2 series II center (haven't bought but on sale/highly considering)

-Subwoofer Polk PSW505 or BIC America F12 or taking suggestions

-Reciever, prefer 5.1 unless there isn't much savings. 3D required, want something that will use the full power of my speakers, or come close, without being overkill. Budget for Reciever $250 - $400. Prefer the $250 models unless there is a $400 that will blow away something like Onkyo TX-NR509

And a question. I just got my Monitor 70s and they are the nicest floorstanding speakers I've ever had. There are 2 +'s and 2 -'s why and do I have to find a way to use all 4 to use it's full potential?

Congrats on the new TV.

Polk CS2 - Have you demoed them?

BIC Sub - Go with this sub.

5.1 Receiver - Take a look at Integra or NAD. I'd be very weary of Onkyo's right now. And Denon's aren't to my liking, but that's just my opinion.

The 2+/2- is if you want to bi-wire. Don't waste your money. I have my speakers bi-wired, but only because I got a deal on a pair of Tara Labs. Bi-wiring doesn't do much, if anything for sound quality. It's just something the manufacturers design so we can spend more money. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BIC happens to be a little bit cheaper than the Polk 12" is it also considered better than the 505?

After a bit of browsing the current reciever I am looking at is the Denon AVR-791. I have a 391 downstairs and honestly I am happy with it. The 791 would give me a chance to experience just a little bit higher level with cool options to fiddle with like audyssey multiEQ. The spec page says 90w x 7. Does it adjust if you only use 5.1? ex: more watt per channel on a 5.1 setup? That's about the only question I have, unless someone can reccomend another receiver in the same range? I really like what I read about the 791 though.

-ipod USB

-onscreen menu

-3D

-Audyssey MultiEQ

-and the fact that I am "used to" the 391, and like denon.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei /forum/post/0

The BIC happens to be a little bit cheaper than the Polk 12" is it also considered better than the 505?

After a bit of browsing the current reciever I am looking at is the Denon AVR-791. I have a 391 downstairs and honestly I am happy with it. The 791 would give me a chance to experience just a little bit higher level with cool options to fiddle with like audyssey multiEQ. The spec page says 90w x 7. Does it adjust if you only use 5.1? ex: more watt per channel on a 5.1 setup? That's about the only question I have, unless someone can reccomend another receiver in the same range? I really like what I read about the 791 though.

-ipod USB

-onscreen menu

-3D

-Audyssey MultiEQ

-and the fact that I am "used to" the 391, and like denon.

Yes it will have slightly more power running just as 5.1 but it wont be over 90watts receiver companies over estimate their power output or measure them in a way favorable to them. Since you like your 391 I would get the 791. It's better than the Onkyo 509.

Bic's are more HT based subwoofer where the Polk Psw505 is better for music listening

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah I see thanks, BIC's is probably better for me since it's probably only going to be 10% music/concert blurays. And it's 10% less right now.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's how I completed my setup.

-Denon 1712

-Monitor 70

-CS2

-BIC F12

-T15

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is an old old thread but it reminds me of my journey into upgrade land. Those speakers were nice low end speakers that served me well.

I now have a Sony KDL-70R55A because I have a ton of 3D blu rays and love passive 3D

I have new speakers on the way. Klipsch RC-62 and 2 RF-82s. I now have a RW12d paired with a BIC F12 and thinking of upgrading to SVS sub soon. And eventually will complete it with 2 RS-52s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts