AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my old home theater, I was running Boston Acoustic VR-940 mains, VR-910 center, VR Surronds, and a Micro90 sub. I have just upgraded to Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 mains, CC-570 center, ADP-470 rears and a Servo 15 v2 sub. Needless to say...I am grinning from ear to ear!

However, I do have a question about getting the speakers setup properly. While the Servo 15 hits hard at low frequencies (where I can feel it), something still seems off. I am not hearing the bass that I think I should be. So here is how I have everything setup:

- Speakers powered by Denon 3808ci

- I ran the Audyssey setup in the Denon using 8 listening points to set the distance for my speakers.

- Audyssey set my front and center speaker to Large and my crossover frequency to 40 Hz. So I manually changed my speakers to all small and set the crossover to 80 Hz.

- I ran the test tones and adjusted the volume of each speaker to 75dB.

- The polarity on my sub is set to 0.

- The subwoofer level is set t0 the 12'oclock position and all volume adjustments were made in the receiver to get it to the 75dB.

- I had the Subwoofer Cut-Off dialed up to the maximum setting.

- I have the Bass Contour set to 0.0 dB.

While typing this I just skimmed over the Servo 15 manual and it said to adjust the Phase Alignment until you hear the most base. In some quick testing last evening, I am pretty certain that I got the most base when the phase was set to 180. I will have to experiment more tonight.

Do the procedures that I went through look correct? Should I adjust the crossover frequency in my receiver to 60 Hz and let my front speakers handle everything above that? For those running a similar setup, what are your suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
I am curious about your procedure. The setup not only sets distances, it also sets levels crossovers and EQ. After it is done, I would not suggest you change anything except the crossover (and LARGE-to-SMALL) since that criterion is set by Denon, not Audyssey. Also, I would not mess with the phase on the sub after running Audyssey. In general, changing other settings will compromise the Audyssey setup.

Oh, you might experiment with the crossover in the range from 40-80Hz as, without external measurements, it is impossible to know the FR response in your room. Nothing in that range will be a problem but you might have a preference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts