AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i am confused about the optical cable. I have an optical cable out from my dvd and a optical in for the avr...i know it is for audio, so with this connection, i will not need any RCA cable from audio out to my avr audio in right?? what about 5.1?? will the avr atomatically recongize the signal is meant for 5 channels???

also i just went to RS and bought a toslink optical cable. it is 12ft in lengtgh and it was only $5. but they also had a 6ft for $20. the cable is exactly the same with the same package. the only difference is the $15 price difference. does signal form a toshlink optical cable degarde as the length increases?? in other words does the signal quality degrade as the cabel length increases??? if ot why then for such a price difference??

thanks all!!!!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If you set your AVR to Auto it will automatically detect the digital bit stream from your DVD player and decode it. I would, however, also run analog interconnects, as well. I sometimes prefer the surround decoding of Pro Logic II to Dolby Digital and I like the ability to force the AVR to analog signal processing.

The shorter the Toslink wire the better, especially if it's plastic. Try not to bend it too much. You would be surprised how fragile it is.

Alan

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've heard that too short a toslink cable is bad, but I think that's for shorter than 6 feet.

Who knows what goes on in the minds of RS people who set their pricing? 12 feet is probably not any more of a problem than 6 feet with a decent toslink cable, but maybe they are trying to get rid of them because of quality issues. I like coax personally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The reason the 12 feet was cheaper is because they are clearing out that brand. There is a thread on Fatwallet about RS clearing out audio-video cables. I got a six foot s-video/optical combo cable for $10, originally about $40.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.