AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the verge of purchasing a EZ28, primarily for offloading recordings from the Dish DVR and converting some old VHS tapes.

We're very happy with the DVR, but there's a good bit of competition between football games and Oprah for disk space. You can guess who wins.

The Dish DVR is non HD, has S-video and RF outputs.

I think I have two choices:

1. The EZ28 manual recommends running a coax from the Dish controller RF to the TV, connecting the EZ28 to the Dish with the S-Video and to the TV with the HDMI output, then using the Sony to choose the source.

2. I saw another thread which discussed connecting the Dish controller to the EZ28 with the S-Video and the EZ28 to the TV with the HDMI, using the EZ28 to control the source.

To my limited knowledge 2 seems the better option, in that the S-Video would be used both for TV viewing and recording. Is that correct? Would I be better off using the EZ28 to upconvert to 1080P or leaving that to the Sony?

Is there an advantage to using an EZ48 for converting old VHS tapes to DVD instead of using a separate VCR?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Both your options sound the same to me? the only thing different is in #1 you're also running a coax from your STB to your TV. I guess I'd be inclined to do that and then test yourself to see what is better, either direct RF to TV or via S-video/HDMI to your TV (through your DVDR). I would think you'll get better PQ doing it this way since you'll be eliminating the rf modulator in your STB. RF mods. are notorious for bad PQ and usually aren't stereo.

AFA the EZ-48, most people have better results with a DVDR only and using a separate VCR. It sounds more complicated but actually is much more flexible and I think easier to see what's going on. Note in your case you could also get buy with a tunerless EA-18 which may be cheaper than the EZ-28. EA-18s may be available at Target stores for ~$180 as well other places.

·
Registered
15,402 Posts
I'd also go with option 2. As for upconversion, let your eyes be the judge. I've found that the EZ does great upconverting DVD's (better than my tv), but not as good when just passing thru the input. Don't know why, but that's the way it looks to me. I have a sony 1080p tv as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jjeff,

Thanks for the reply. You're right, the wiring is essentially the same.

I guess to me the difference is that with 1, there is a direct connection from the STB to the TV and the DVDR would only be used when recording or playing a DVD. But either the TV or the DVDR would have to be on the RF connection.

With 2 everything going to the TV goes thru the DVDR. Which means all the PQ is dependent somewhat on the DVDR, and means the DVDR will be powered on whenever the TV is. Or more likely whenever the STB is powered on, which is 24/7. Is that good or bad? I had always heard to leave a PC powered on. If it's going to fail, let it fail during the warrenty period.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
You could leave your DVD recorder on all the time(basically what enabling Quick Start does as far as power draw), but you could also turn it on just when you turn your TV on. With QS enabled it turns on in about a second. Otherwise it takes forever(about 30 seconds).

If you were going to just turn your TV on for a few seconds (maybe to check the weather) you could use your parallel RF cable (the one that would go direct from STB to TV). This would save a ON/OFF cycle for your DVDR. I'm one of those persons who turns off computers/DVDR when not in use, others prefer to leave them on. Either way it should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts