AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to run just one CAT5E from my existing home's distribution panel 150' through a buried conduit (2' underground) to a new garage/apartment's distribution panel. Was thinking of having a POE switch in the garage Panel that then connects to 3 POE security cameras about 50' away.

Is this a good plan-would you change anything? Do I need any special type of CAT5E cable or will any normal cable work since it will be in a conduit underground 2'? Does it matter what type of conduit is used or anything work? Would it be better to run 3 CAT5E cables from the home directly to the cameras (more work & expense) or am I ok w/ my plan to run 1 into a POE switch in the garage?

Thanks for any suggestions & advice!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
1 should be fine but run a CAT6 for that length.

You should get the stuff for outdoor use. The cable has goop in it instead of air so water can't get in.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Is that the only reason this conduit is being run? I'd look at a WiFi bridge solution instead if that's the case... And while the conduit is a good idea, probably a lot cheaper to just use direct burial cat5e - and regardless, run two of them.

But in the garage, a local switch to serve up POE and provide additional wired outlets is probably best - although powering the cameras from a UPS-backed PoE source in the house may be more appropriate if you're doing the same for the main structure...

Jeff

Reactions: freetvEE

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that the only reason this conduit is being run? I'd look at a WiFi bridge solution instead if that's the case... And while the conduit is a good idea, probably a lot cheaper to just use direct burial cat5e - and regardless, run two of them.

But in the garage, a local switch to serve up POE and provide additional wired outlets is probably best - although powering the cameras from a UPS-backed PoE source in the house may be more appropriate if you're doing the same for the main structure...
Thanks for the info! Conduit is being run as a fish line for any future things, so work is being done already... so does it matter if i use metal or PVC conduit for the CAT5E? was planning on running 2 CAT5E just in case. ;-) Would burial grade be necessary if the CAT5E is inside the conduit? also, I thought CAT5E was good for about 300', do I need CAT6 if I am only going about 200' total?

Was thinking of just doing the same for both the house & garage. off of the same network hooking up a POE switch for the 3 cameras in the home, and then hooking up a seperate POE switch for the 3 cameras in the garage off of the CAT5E that I run through the conduit.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
So does it matter if i use metal or PVC conduit for the CAT5E?
Don't think you want to be burying metal conduit. PVC is the normal answer here.

Would burial grade be necessary if the CAT5E is inside the conduit?
Necessary, no, but i'd use it regardless...

also, I thought CAT5E was good for about 300', do I need CAT6 if I am only going about 200' total?
For the cost difference it would be prudent to run cat6. But yes, the cat5e should be fine.

Jeff

Reactions: freetvEE

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think you want to be burying metal conduit. PVC is the normal answer here.

Necessary, no, but i'd use it regardless...

For the cost difference it would be prudent to run cat6. But yes, the cat5e should be fine.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the details. BTW-I forgot to mention but was planning on keeping it simple & not using a UPS back source unless you think it would be necessary? If needed, any suggestions on a good inexpensive one? Would I need 2-1 for the house & 1 for the garage?

FROM BEFORE:
Was thinking of just doing the same for both the house & garage. off of the same network hooking up a POE switch for the 3 cameras in the home, and then hooking up a seperate POE switch for the 3 cameras in the garage off of the CAT5E that I run through the conduit.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Thanks Jeff for the details. BTW-I forgot to mention but was planning on keeping it simple & not using a UPS back source unless you think it would be necessary? If needed, any suggestions on a good inexpensive one? Would I need 2-1 for the house & 1 for the garage?
It's not necessary, but that might change the implementation since it would be easier to power all the camera/DVR gear from one central point (with a UPS backing it).

Whether you want the cameras battery-backed or not depends on what you're using them for and what your local power reliability looks like...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not necessary, but that might change the implementation since it would be easier to power all the camera/DVR gear from one central point (with a UPS backing it).

Whether you want the cameras battery-backed or not depends on what you're using them for and what your local power reliability looks like...
As long as the 2 separate POE switches will work off of the same main home network, then I am good! Just using the 6 security cameras for general home monitoring, so not the end of the world if they go out every once in a while.. ;-)

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I would use direct burial cat cable in the buried conduit. Just assume water will get in the conduit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts