AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

Just purchased a BIC F12 and wanted to try it out with my old receiver since the new one hasn't shipped yet.

I'm running the sub with an old Pioneer VSX-D606S without any luck right now. I got an rca cable going from the pre-out on the back of the receiver to the sub-in on the back of the sub.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the sub to fire... I was wondering if there are some special settings/menu I have to go into on the receiver in order to enable the sub-out? If anyone out there has the same receiver, please help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I try to avoid fire and powered subwoofers at the same time.

Are you playing a movie with an LFE track or have bass management redirecting bass to the sub? A DVD with a .1 track should be a basic test that the sub out is working. Do you have a multi-meter to check the sub output? You would have to use a low AC milivolt range. And it can be hard to get a good reading ( I take an RCA plug with bare wires connected, and use clips to my multi-meter to test line outs.)

Are you using autosense turn on for the sub? Have you connected the RCA cable to the correct input on the sub? (It's often the Left input if there are L/R inputs.)

I assume you turned the output level up to the 1/2 way position?

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
Do you have the manual for your 606 receiver? It would be a tremendous help.

Most AVRs are the same in this respect. You need to set all your speakers to SMALL and Subwoofer to YES or ON in the receiver settings. And then set the crossover to 80hz depending what speakers your have. What are they anyway?

Turn the subwoofer volume to about 2/3 or 1/2 way up. Turn the crossover on the sub all the way up.

That should be a good start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I did eventually figure it out after hours of tinkering (no manual)... i found out the hard way that there is a subwoofer on/off in the receiver. But even after straightening that out, i still couldn't tell if the sub was actually producing any bass. I searched online and it turns out that the vsx-d606s is notorious for having low sub-out levels, so i had to turn the subwoofer gain up to +10dB on the receiver to actually notice any bass (F12 volume was set about halfway).

Just as a future reference for anyone with a 606s out there, you have to use the remote to access the set-up menus where the subwoofer settings are. You press the green "surround" button first, then press up/down arrows to flip through the settings. One setting will contain the subwoofer on/off options. I also set LOWCUTOFF, and switched LFE ATT to **db.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
You should invest in a radio shack sound meter to properly calibrate the level of audio from all of your speakers including the sub. To adjust the volume by ear isn't always the best way to optimize one's system.

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts