AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, I've been doing a lot of research but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on this problem.

I have a JVC 32-P903 crt hdtv. Here are the specs:

1080i

DVI Compatible Input with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)

2 Auto Sensing Component Inputs

3 S-Video Inputs (2 Rear, 1 Front)

4 AV Inputs (3 Rear, 1 Front)

I would like to hook this up to my PC sometime in the future to play older video games and watch videos, but I'm not sure what the best method would be. I am mostly confused about DVI as I have read a lot about different kinds being incompatible with each other. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. If I was to buy a graphics card with DVI output, would this work with my TV or does it need to be a specific type of DVI?

2. I have been reading about problems with overscan. Is this only a problem with DVI or would S-Video be a better option to avoid having to tweak the settings?

Basically, if you had my tv and wanted to connect it to a pc to watch movies and play older games, how would you do it? Keep in mind that I haven't bought a graphics card yet so any type of output is possible as long as it is a modern card. I would prefer a gaming card (something like a radeon 4850) but thats not necessary.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
1. Yes. Your PC can output analog or digital video over DVI, so you're set no matter which your TV uses (probably both).

2. You may or may not have overscan issues with DVI, but they should be easy to correct on either the TV or the PC. Do not use S-Video. It would give you horrible picture quality (compared to DVI) and may have overscan issues as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts